Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: computer related question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont even mess with Windows 7, it'll take at least 6 months for them to work out the bugs. They're working out some bugs for vista. I've been using vista for about 1- 1/2 yrs to 2 yrs and there's been a lot of updates and service packs. The only down side is how much power it requires to run. You wont have any problems with XP but on some computers it may not let you revert to prior Windows versions. I believe microsoft did this to 'force' Vista on people. And from what I've heard there is very little if any difference between Vista and Windows 7.

You'll be fine using Vista, and I find it to be more user friendly and easier to access your folders, tools, apps etc. using Vista then XP. There's always that crowd that hates moving forward and getting rid of the old operation system. The same thing happened when XP came out and everyone loved either 98 or 2000. This is the same thing. Vista for me bug wise has been fixed for a while and everyone I know who uses it does not have any problems with it either.

Let us know what you end up getting! Good hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up ordering this. I cut a couple of things and ended up paying around 1800 for the computer itself.
    tHP HDX18t Premium Series Notebook PC
    - Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz)
    - 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
    - 500GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (250GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    - 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
    - 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
    - Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    - Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
    - Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
    - 50% OFF!! HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid Tuner
    - Full Size Backlit Keyboard
    - 50% OFF!! Extra 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    - System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
    - No Productivity Software
    - $30 OFF!! Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 7 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice! You wont be disappointed. I cant believe Blu ray is already on laptops, they waste no time developing. Good choice on the extra cells for the battery, wish I'd done that. 4 Gb of Ram has been amazing for me and you'll still get a good amount of power from the 2.66GHz processors, I prefer AMD though but there really is hardly any difference between the two. Nice going with the tuner and large screen, it'll come in handy for checking out some nice HD shots of some CPs.
    Hope you like it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a duo core Toshiba Satellite laptop from Best Buy and a quad desktop. The laptop is maxed on RAM but still rather slow like any I've gotten from a store.

The desktop is awesome and fast since it's a custom build with these bits (my part #s may be off cos it was built 2 years ago):
    Quad core processor QX6500
    5-PN SLI motherboard
    1 GB Nvida video card
    4 GB 800mhz ram
    2x 500GB 7200rpm harddrives

The only thing I don't like is that I told the guy to put in XP 64 bit and then found out that a lot of software won't work on the 64 bit version of windows. This is infuriating since older stuff did work with 32 bit XP and does work on the Vista 32 bit laptop as well. So avoid a 64 bit OS if you have old software you wanna use. Some day I suppose I'll relent and install Vista 32 bit on the desktop so I can use my old software again.

edit:
    I see you got 64 bit Vista how are all your CD-roms working?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ french3z
    I think that it will be a good choice for me. I'll be headed to college next year so I'm kind of looking for something that will serve an entertainment center as well as a computer and this will definitely serve that purpose well. I will be sacrificing some portability but I really doubt I'll need to carry it around a bunch and if worse comes to worse I can always get a netbook. The 2.66 ghz duo processor was one of the concessions I made to lower the price but I finally got in touch with my cousin who's studying to be a software engineer and he convinced me that it wasn't really worth the money right now but when I get my next laptop it probably will be to go with the quad.

@ swords
    I wish I was in the market for a desktop right now. I looked at a few when I was choosing my laptop and you get so much more for your money. You're custom desktop sounds like it would run great. As for the 64 vs 32 bit OS I don't know how old software will work on it but I probably won't be using much old software to find out. I've lost some of the disks to the software I have on this computer and even if I had them it's time to update and buy more recent versions.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear we could help out. Like I said the quad really is for running lots of stuff, sometimes it can be hard to justify why you need to get one.

Good luck with College!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12