Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer related question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

computer related question

This is a bit off topic for this forum but I'm sure someone here knows about computers. I'm getting a new laptop and I'm wondering whether it is better to get a T9550 2.66 ghz duo processor or a Q9000 2.0 ghz quad processor? I'm kind of leaning towards the quad since I think in the next few years more and more software will start taking advantage of quad processors. However right now I'm thinking that the T9550 might work better. I want to keep the cost of the computer down or I'd just go with a better quad processor and solve all my problems. Anyway If anyone could be of help in this decision I would really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for power, the quad is the way to go. Though if you're just going to be using basic apps the duo will be more then enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built my own computer, so this is sort of down my ally. It all depends on whether you are going to be using multiple programs at once or not. If not, than I would go with the 2.66 Ghz. Quad cores work best on computers that have multiple applications open. it is like having (4)
    .5 Ghz processors that can be assigned different tasks. If it were me, I would go with the 2.66 Ghz, but it all depends.
    my growlist
    The Southeast Carnivorous Plant Society
    Man who run in front of car get tired; man who run behind car get exhausted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do normally have at least a few applications open at once but I think a duo could still handle it. My brother has a 3 year old computer which I'm sure has a duo processor and he says he normally has ten or more windows open with no problems. I still think that the quad core could be nice.

If this link works right here are the specs to the computer that I'm looking to buy. If anyone has the time/desire to look at it and offer recommendations please do so.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...29_emailconfig

also the computer itself is only $2145 but the service plan, printer, etc drive the total price up. It's basically as powerful as the $2700 toshiba qosmio gaming computer with the exception of the graphics card but it's quite a bit cheaper and has a few luxury features the qosmio doesn't offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing I can recommend is GET A WARRANTY. I have gone through so many different brands of computers and they die on me so quick, but not quick enough to be still under warranty. If you want something that will still be able to have power in a few years to run the larger applications that I would go for the quad. But like I said if you're going to be using a few apps the duo will do.
    Different windows require different power, if you're running 10 Word windows it'll require different power then say 10 google earth like windows.

Cant go wrong with an HP, I own one and I havent had a lot of issues at all. What I would recommend though is buying your computer at a Fry's or Best buy. Just somewhere where you can buy that extended warranty, I usually recommend no less then 3 yrs. After 5 yrs your computer will be way overdue for an upgrade. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hp looks like it would be great because it has very good specs. Now, a computer can become outdated within 3 years, but this shouldn't be the case with this one. I would get a warranty, but most things that go wrong happen within the first year or so.
    my growlist
    The Southeast Carnivorous Plant Society
    Man who run in front of car get tired; man who run behind car get exhausted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neps_N_Things View Post
    I do normally have at least a few applications open at once but I think a duo could still handle it. My brother has a 3 year old computer which I'm sure has a duo processor and he says he normally has ten or more windows open with no problems. I still think that the quad core could be nice.
    As others have said, it depends on how you use it. The issue is that software programs have yet to catch up to hardware changes. Most software is not multi-threaded - therefore it can only use one processor (or core). If you plan to use one large program and are hoping to speed it up (& it doesn't support multithreading), you'd actually be better off getting the fastest single core. If you have a number of programs open & none of them are real processor-intensive - the more cores you have - the better (possibly an over-generalization).

Also as others have noted, get a decent warranty (& a company that has a good rep honoring warranties). Personally, I still would get XP, even if it cost more than Vista. Micro-snot made Vista for itself & it's buddies with little thought to the consumer (imagine a monopolistic company doing that). It uses computer resources much less efficiently than XP (for the same unit - it uses more memory & runs slower). (rant mode = OFF)

For a thread with some different viewpoints on laptops - check out this.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gah, get something besides Vista! XP or Windows 7 are much much better alternatives. I spent 2 weeks on a vista computer and I was horrified with what I had to deal with. There was a lot of crashing, and the OS itself eats up a good chunk of your processing power.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast