Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Geocaching the NJ Pine Barrens

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That hammock/tent combo is a really cool idea. How well does it work? It looks really simple to set-up, and probably gets the job done, while being lightweight. Really nice pics too, I love seeing CPs in the wild. And who would have thought that something so nice could have come out of New Jersey!?
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    And who would have thought that something so nice could have come out of New Jersey!?
    I thought the exact same thing back then. When I first saw CPs in the wild, I was in Acadia, Maine and imagine my amazement when I found out they also existed (in huge numbers) right close to home. As bad of an image Jersey presents of itself, actually 2/3 of it is still "natural" with the Pine Barrens being a huge chunk of that. All the industrial stuff is near the northeast coastline (where I lived closer to). Go south past that and it's much more cleaner....farms and pine groves and cedar swamps, etc.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been lucky to get one trip to the Pine Barrens and it's worth going there for sure!

Steve...is that hammock comfortable for sleeping? And how did you get your food up so high in that tree?

The photos are awesome...loved the 'dews. How can anyone not be awed by those jewels.

Congrats on the cache find. For all that hike it should have been a big, fat ammo can.

Thanks for all these photos...they were great. Made me feel like I was there. (Loved the one when you started out walking...lol. I feel really tired now.)
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This made me think of the Monsterquest I saw yesterday on History Channel. Has anyone ever heard of the New Jersey Devil? Tradition has it living somewhere in the NJ Pine Barrens and it is supposedly a terror. Pretty sure Elgecko didn't run into it, as I am sure he would have told us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! Thanks for the photos.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad everyone enjoyed the pictures.

SirKristoff,
    It was a very light drizzle most of the day so it was not bad.

SpyCspider,
    There is a group of us going out in July, come on out.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=117551

USMCSKI,
    I'd use Carnivorous plants, to protect myself from the Jersey Devil!

PlantAKiss,
    I've used the Hammock on 2 outings so far. It is very comfortable to sleep in.

I attach my Leatherman Wave to the rope and then throw it up over a tree limb. Hope the knot never fails. Who knows where the Leatherman would end up. LOL

As for caching I found 23 total while hiking over the 3 days. I was disappointed with this number. My plan was to hike to Goshen Pond to spend the first night. It was getting late and my arch / heel on my one foot was hurting. So I stopped 1 mile before Goshen Pond at Atsion to spend the night. The next day after walking a few steps it was hurting again. So instead of finding a bunch of caches on the way to the next campsite, I bypassed many of them that where over a 1/4 or more miles away because of my foot. There was a bunch around the Goshen Pond area. I guess I'll try to find a little time when I'm out in July to grab some more that are near Atsion.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pics! I want to go to the pine barrens one day. I want to see some purps and wild dews, but most importantly, I hear they have a fungus growing ant species in the tribe Attini. Its apparently the most northern species of fungus growers. Nice pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heheh yea the elusive Jersey Devil. I didn't find out about that legend till I was older or else I probably would not have gone as a kid. Actually no, for CPs I would've still gone. =P

Sorry can't take up the offer to join ya guys--I'll definitely be down here in TX doing a school rotation during that time. Have fun and watch out for ticks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast