What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

getting an "icon" on the Firefox browser bar?

I like using Firefox for my browser and put all my most visited sites on the browser bar across the top and some (Ebay, cactus forum, google, etc) all have a little logo or icon and the text name of the link (which I can delete and I do so I have just the icons). But Terraforums and my own websites and some others only have a generic file icon when you click "bookmark this page" making me leave the text up so I know what the link is. How do I make an icon at least for my own websites so that when I make a bookmark it has the icon I create?

Anybody know? ???

Easy enough. Just create the icon file and save it in the root directory of your website as "favicon.ico". If you don't have easy access to your root (woot?) then add the html tag to your pages:

HTML:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="/~your_directory/logo.ico">

You can find free icon editors easily enough.

Thanks Nan!
So it's not a valid Photoshop file extension I can make it with, I've gotta get a specific "icon software"?

No, you don't need anything special. I made mine
favicon.ico
in photoshop, I just don't remember how. Been too long ago. You can see it in action here.

You can see the one I made for a friend's site here. So it can be done.

I mean that I don't see the .ico file extension in photoshop. Does it work to just name the file that regardless of the drop down list of file types?

Hey lookit that! Just as an experiment I made my avatar super tiny and made the forced file name favicon.ico and it worked! Go to www.battlehelm.com and my spacemonk or whatever is there as the icon! I'm gonna put the Battle Helm logo there soon but it does work! Thanks so much guys it's so cool!
Mine is saved as .jpg but it doesn't look the same as a normal .jpg file when I opened my dreamweaver upload browser, it has a weird looking icon but it works regardless.

Andrew, make an icon of the flytrap logo for the forums it's a breeze!:D

It's kind of scrunched up out of ratio, but it's there. :)

Thanks for that link NAN! 16 x 16 is a pretty small graphic.

I've been wondering about that but never looked into it yet.
Thanks for the link and info.

Before the last website switch, I didn't have a graphic in my firefox either. But now I have a small version of the title graphic VFTs as my icon. Try recreating your shortcut button and see if it changes.

Jason

good eye jason, I created it about 20 mins ago :p

I'm in the same boat... saw it, wondered about it, never looked into it.

Now I got it :p thanks from me too!

I just saw that Andrew - it looks awesome!
Now I've got a Flytrap and a Cactus icon right next to each other on my browser, just like my actual plant shelf! :D

even though you can't really tell what it is.. I guess it's good enough to match with the forum banner to ring a bell huh?

I suppose so, I'm always graphically attracted so I like the plant circle but a large green "T" in the Papyrus font would likely work well too. Google's just a big "G".

I must be missing something.
I made the icon, uploaded it.
Added code to my page. Cleared the cache. Restarted the browser and no icon.

I can type the address in for the icon, it's uploaded and the codes on my page. Not sure why it's not coming up??

I didn't add any codes to my page since I own the domain I just put a file named "faveicon.ico" in my domains folder. I don't know how to use any of that coding stuff. Try without the code perhaps?
Maybe XP64 has that icon software pre-installed? Cos the file type icon is not the same as a regular JPG icon but that's what Photoshop said it was saving it as even though I forced the ".ico" file extension.

I downloaded the plug-in for photoshop to make the .ico file.
I've tried it with and without the code??

Back