Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me identify this bug.[warning, big picture]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should start a flea circus! Little ferris wheels and high diving boards with a teaspoon of water for the pool and...

My friends had to flea bomb their miniature zoo (house). Cats, mice, rats, ferrets, lizards, they had a houseful of critters they had to relocate to do it but it seemed to take care of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a flea without a doubt.

I've brought them home before once or twice with me after pet sitting the neighbors pets. Wash all your
    clothes, and your bed sheets. Make sure you take a long shower and scrub with shampoo real well.
    Now for this part I dont see how in the world it would help but it seems that they dont enjoy alcohol. So I do once I put everything in the wash is pour rubbing alcohol ( 70% ispropyl) into a spray bottle and give the whole bed and carpet a good spray.
    They're tough little guys and only way to kill them and squishing them between 2 nails. They'll survive being squished between 2 fingers a lot of times and they leave some pretty nasty bites.
    You dont have to have pets or be around them to bring them home. They can live in a lot of soils like mulch for example is a very easy way to get them. They love mulch beds for some reason.

Hope you can get rid of them, I hate those things.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get an old fashioned night light with an incandescent bulb 5-10 watt range. Put it over a tray of Drosera and Pinguicula on the floor The fleas are attracted to the heat and light of the bulb and get stuck on the traps.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't had a flea infestation since we moved out of an apartment 16+ years ago and used a flea bomb that time. It worked fine, but I don't think I'd do it again. I've seen these - http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/M230 - but have never used one. I've heard diatomaceous earth works too (Safers also has that), but am not sure how people use it indoors.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    I've heard diatomaceous earth works too (Safers also has that), but am not sure how people use it indoors.
    Do NOT use diatomaceaous Earth, especially if you have children around. It's very effective at killing some bugs like roaches that tend to stay out of sight. It's made from diatom shells that have accumulated in the Earth's crust over time and it works because when insects get it on their legs (like roaches) they swallow some when they clean themselves. It basically kills them from internal bleeding as the shells slice their insides up as it goes down. It does the same to humans were you to get it in your eyes or breathe it in. It's fine in areas where people wont be able to get to (like underneath a fridge) but on a bed will be very very hazardous to say the least...

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you get a furry pet and buy a product called Advantage. That should take care of the fleas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raid makes a flea spray for use indoors on carpets. I would use that in the bedroom, maybe not on the bed though. Wash all your bedding and be sure to vacuum the room really well and discard the contents of the vacuum cleaner outside. If you don't have any pets and you can keep them off of yourself then they should go elsewhere looking for a host. Be sure to check for rodents that may be living in or around the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great, i used foggers... twice. it worked for like 4 days, then i notice that i'm starting to get bites again, and i put a little tub of water under the incandesant light, and i do get 1 or 2 every now and then, but ive used foggers like 3 times now, i'm vacumming almost every other days, i'm still waking up with bites. i don't see them on my bed, or my blanket anymore, but i wake up with bumps that doesn't itch until i touch it. this is horrible. i tried spraying my bed,carpet, and surrounding with alcohol like 30 minute before i go to sleep, and i get new bite marks when i wake up. i even moved out the house for a week to see if they die off. what should i do now? i've tried the flea spray by raid. they just keep coming back. i don't know what to do anymore. my mom thought it came from my CPs since i had some nepenthes in my room, but now i moved them temporary outside under the shade, i hope they do fine there.
    Happy Holiday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast