Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Energy Consumption

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Energy Consumption

Does anyone know exactly how much the typical fluorescent 2 bulb fixtures that everyone uses add to the electric bill?

The one and only shelf I'm using on my grow rack is jam packed, and I would really like to put more lights on another shelf. The only problem is, my step dad is convinced that they add a substantial amount to the energy bill. I'd like to know how much more they are really adding.

Thanks for any help!

Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you'd have to figure out what you electric company or hydro company is measuring your energy in, and then by how much. Each light bulb has a reading, which you might have to convert to what ever unit of measurement they use to bill you. Here I believe I get charged in Kilowatt hours which is 3600000 joules per hour.

Personally, i don't think an extra light bulb or 2 would add a lot to the bill.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks carn.

I've suggested that to my step dad, but our billing process is strange in that we pay in increments annually... So we barely ever see the total cost or increase in price.

I suppose I'll have to look up how much we get charged in watts/kilowatts if no one on here knows.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't notice a change in your electricity bill, i can guarantee it! Even better, if you convince him, try your best to consume less electricity, by turning off the lights behind you, heating just slightly less is a big diff (in the winter), wash with cold water instead of hot... but most important of all, REPLACE ALL INCANDESCENT BULBS WITH CFL'S!!!!! It may be a bit pricey to replace them all at once, but you will see a HUGE difference in the wallet. I pay close to nothing per month for electricity.

I only use CFL's for all my fixtures.

Oh, and i have 3 t5's at 39 watts each, and 4 CFL's for the other terra... they are on 16 hours per day.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bloke!

I'll show him your post.

I think I'm a very "efficient" person for the most part, lol. I always make sure lights are off when not being used, recycle, etc.
    growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electricity is fairly cheap here, but even with 8 T8s I only saw about a $10 difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could say that two 40 watt tubes doesn't even match a regular 100W house bulb (in power consumption). I think it's psychological, people see big bulbs and think "how much does it cost to run that!?" I've got a dozen 40 watters running (6 twin tube striplights) and my bill barely hiccuped (it did go up but not an appreciable amount). Of course all my house bulbs are now 26W twistys so the plant lamps just soaked up the money I was spending to light the other rooms with incandescents I suppose.

Now, when I turn on the AC's, that's a whole different story. My bill goes from $60 a month to $120 for July & August. But I'd rather be comfortable and stave off a few trips to the bookshop than be miserable, I hate temps above 80*F!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moving my thermostat a couple degrees makes a bigger difference than what T8's i run.......i cant tell via my bill whether ive added more lights or notand right now ive got around 15 fixtures
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast