Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rinsing Sand, Peat Moss, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rinsing Sand, Peat Moss, etc.

Newb question: When rinsing these things, do I have to use distilled or rain water, or is tap water okay for this? For peat, I was thinking of using tap water for rinsing and wringing out several times, and then let it dry, and then use distilled water for the planting.

For sand, I have no idea.

Does Perlite have to be rinsed?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what are you rinsing it for? If you´re just going to pot up a plant, you don´t need to rinse it. Or does the peat and perlite contain fertilizer or something?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't use tap water without making sure the media dries out completely before you use it. I've washed out sand with tap water and then placed it into the microwave to boil all of it out, but you can only do that so much.
    Your easiest bet is to just use distilled or rain. (I also recommend collecting rain water if you aren't already doing so; it will save you a ton in the long run.)

I never rinse my peat or perlite. I didn't even really know people did.

Edit: Also, if you are using horticultural sand, it does not need to be rinsed. I only rinse play sand.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've washed out sand with tap water and then placed it into the microwave to boil all of it out
    what good does this do? all your doing is boiling off all the water but any salts that were in the water will be left behind in the sand...
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    what good does this do? all your doing is boiling off all the water but any salts that were in the water will be left behind in the sand...
    haha

Well, I guess that's pretty useless then. I probably should have realized that considering I keep a reef tank...

Edit: I guess I can see it kind of working actually... Most of the water drains into the paper towel the sand is placed on and then evaporates, leaving all the salts etc in the towel.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    Newb question: When rinsing these things, do I have to use distilled or rain water, or is tap water okay for this? For peat, I was thinking of using tap water for rinsing and wringing out several times, and then let it dry, and then use distilled water for the planting.

For sand, I have no idea.

Does Perlite have to be rinsed?

Thanks
    use distilled RO or rain water.....do not use tap unless its been tested and you have very low TDS.....if you use tap and you do not have low TDS readings you arent gaining anything by rinsing it.....i dont rince much of any thing but others swear by it....every time i opened up a bag of perlite i wish i had wetted it down, that dust sucks......i dont use perlite anymore though
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Well, what are you rinsing it for? If you´re just going to pot up a plant, you don´t need to rinse it. Or does the peat and perlite contain fertilizer or something?
    Hmmm. I've read around and have seen things like "as with anything dealing with CPs, rinse it thoroughly before using!" I read that rinsing the peat moss keeps it from growing mold or algae or something as fast. I don't know. I'd rather not rinse anyway.

So I have silica sand, peat moss, perlite, and LFS. I think I'm set to plant almost anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TENroaches View Post
    Hmmm. I've read around and have seen things like "as with anything dealing with CPs, rinse it thoroughly before using!" I read that rinsing the peat moss keeps it from growing mold or algae or something as fast. I don't know. I'd rather not rinse anyway.

So I have silica sand, peat moss, perlite, and LFS. I think I'm set to plant almost anything.
    Peat naturally contains algae, cyanobacteria, and other slime-like organisms. Rinsing it isn't going to stop any of that.

Yep, sounds like your set. Silica sand is the way to go.
    growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast