What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Sound of a Dying Bug (video and audio!)

Guys were out on our deck today putting in a new door, and a box fell on my pitcher plants, putting a little break in one of the pitchers, but I'm not too upset over that. The point of this post is....

When I was over moving my planter into the sun, I heard a noise. A crying noise, almost. It took me a while to figure out where it was coming from, after looking in my purple pitchers, and in my bigger red pitchers. I thought maybe there was a bird's nest or something under the deck. Then when inspecting my smaller red pitchers, I felt it vibrate along with the noise, and I jumped. I tried looking in the pitcher, but it was way down in. I figure maybe it's a wasp, but I can't be sure.

And now for your hearing pleasure, the video.

what the heeeeeeeck?

It sounds like a llama or a goat baaahhing. o.0

I hear this to. It is fun to find which trap caught the insect by gently flicking it, thus making the insect make the sound again. Less of a flick, more like a tap tap.

Its a goat wasp. I surfed to the edge of the internet one night and saw something similar along the way. There's a donkey at the end, not a goat.

I hear this to. It is fun to find which trap caught the insect by gently flicking it, thus making the insect make the sound again. Less of a flick, more like a tap tap.

I never had this pleasure before. This is the second evidence that a plant caught a bug on its own without my help. Two days ago, I spotted a closed VFT with "daddy long leg" legs sticking out. Even though it'll most likely kill the trap, I'm still kind of glad it caught it. Other times, I see closed traps, but then I look later and it was peat or something in it.

I also didn't feel as bad about taking a video of this because I didn't plant the bug there. All I did was document it, PBS-style. :-D

Back