Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elderly gunman kills guard at Holocaust Museum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I don't like it when people post news stories without any of their own commentary.
    I actually I'm the reverse, I like to have just the article on the occurrence so people don't have any of my blathering commentary to contend with. Here's the story: ______ now let's discuss. The excess commentary from the news presenter is what keeps me from watching the cable news networks I just want the story not the presenters opinion along with it. At least here, we can all read the article and then discuss.

My main instinct about the story was the same as Capensis, simply "how ironic".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not ironic. That's how terrorism goes. Highly visible and symbolic targets are the most desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I actually I'm the reverse, I like to have just the article on the occurrence so people don't have any of my blathering commentary to contend with. Here's the story: ______ now let's discuss. The excess commentary from the news presenter is what keeps me from watching the cable news networks I just want the story not the presenters opinion along with it. At least here, we can all read the article and then discuss.

My main instinct about the story was the same as Capensis, simply "how ironic".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know. His last event was against the Federal Reserve. I worked with a lot of guys at a plastics factory who had these ideas. they hated all these same people as this guy, etc.

If I let my post-modern entropy-loving side take over I can say I rather secretly enjoy watching ideologues going crazy, it's the old partisan game from here to eternity. No culture or civilization is any different than any other.

Rather the truth is perhaps it helps temper people on taking their "firm beliefs" too seriously whenever things like this happen.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    interesting..........a elderly white guy kills one and there is a post made.....a black muslim kills 2 in Arkansas last week....admits it was "a jihad killing" which makes it a terrorist attack on American soil and i find no posts on it here.......
    Does that make it a terrorist attack? (Is it a terrorist attack just because I say it's a terrorist attack while I'm doing it? Is Blink 182 punk rock? I always thought that the elements of radical conspiracy and intent to inspire fear among broad groups of people were a little more characteristic of terrorism.) I didn't think that it had yet been established that he was acting with a terrorist organization. There was his trip to Yemen, but there's debate as to whether he may have been brainwashed - I hadn't heard of any evidence that he was freely cooperating with a terrorist cell. I think that, at best, von Brunn is as much a "terrorist" as Bledsoe. Given von Brunn's leadership among white supremacists, I'd say he's taken more levels in terrorist. (Because all politics are reduceable to Dungeons and Dragons references.) I can say that, of the two of them, only one has gone so far as to publish books on his extremist views, or to plan and carry out a kidnapping to obtain a forced confession from the enemies of his ideals; only one of them was a celebrity of his movement.
    I'm not trying to say that the events aren't both newsworthy. I'm just not particularly surprised that the former wasn't posted about and the latter was. It's not very surprising that Muslims are upset with the US, and it's not especially alarming that an independent radical would act out. rattler, I'm sure you're familiar with the term "old news." Neo-Nazi activity is something that has been on the fringe of the news for a while up until it became an obvious object of speculation when Obama came up for the democratic candidacy. The museum shooting is part of a relatively (subjectively?) new trend, and the press is jumping on the contrast. Besides which, it's a great topic for speculative journalism because the idea of violence coming from familiar, domestic white demographics is so frightening to the average CNN or FOX News viewer. We're not accustomed to the threat being in our own backyard. It's disappointing, but not distressing.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This discussion reminds me of a great column in the Guardian (UK) a couple days ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...manitarian-aid

The author of that is slamming liberals, but every ideology, political or otherwise, is guilty of the same thing. People are too inclined to bend and twist reality to fit pre-conceived notions.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The media is giving it so much attention because it happened at the Holocaust Museum. One would not typically expect something like this to happen there. It is supposed to be a place of sober thoughts and reflection, not killing. Because of a very strong irony, they jumped all over it.

I actually saw an article today in Newsmax attempting to link this shooting to Obama's middle east talks to Muslim countries... the media makes me sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Media is indeed sickening Baylor. Is it any wonder that their ratings are floating in the toilet?

.....another interesting article on the museum killer:

Museum shooter

And on the killing of George Tiller:

49 million to 5
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links Fryster. This guy is living in his own dream world. Countless misinterpretations and poor understanding of contextual clues in writing. He also needs to revisit history as to why the Roman Empire collapsed... a combination of overextending themselves and high inflation over the course of hundreds of years ripped the empire apart. The barbarians simply finished the job. But, the museum shooter claims Christianity was the sole defeater of the Roman Empire, so I guess he is right

I also detected a bit... ok, maybe ALOT of Friedrich Nietzsche in the shooter's thought process. Surprise, surprise, also the main philosophical influencer of Hitler and Mussolini.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast