What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elderly gunman kills guard at Holocaust Museum

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Elderly gunman kills guard at Holocaust Museum

WASHINGTON (AP) — An elderly gunman opened fire with a rifle inside the crowded U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum on Wednesday, killing a security guard before being shot. Authorities said they were investigating a white supremacist as the suspect. The assailant was hospitalized in critical condition, Washington, D.C., Mayor Adrian Fenty said.
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said the gunman was "engaged by security guards immediately after entering the door" with a rifle. "The second he stepped into the building he began firing."

One law enforcement official said James Von Brunn, 89, a white supremacist, was under investigation in the shooting, and a second official said the elderly man's car was found near the museum and tested for explosives. They spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss the investigation just beginning.

Von Brunn has a racist, anti-Semitic Web site (www.holywesternempire.org) and wrote a book titled "Kill the Best Gentiles."

In 1983, he was convicted of attempting to kidnap members of the Federal Reserve Board. He was arrested two years earlier outside the room where the board was meeting, carrying a revolver, knife and sawed-off shotgun. At the time, police said Von Brunn wanted to take the members hostage because of high interest rates and the nation's economic difficulties.

Writings attributed to Von Brunn on the Internet say the Holocaust was a hoax and decry a Jewish conspiracy to "destroy the white gene pool."

"At Auschwitz the 'Holocaust' myth became Reality, and Germany, cultural gem of the West, became a pariah among world nations," the writing said.

The museum houses exhibits and records relating to the Holocaust more than a half century ago in which more than six million Jews were killed by the Nazis.

Museum officials identified the guard who was killed as Stephen T. Johns. In an e-mail, director Sara Bloomfield said he "died heroically in the line of duty."

The museum where he worked is located across the street from the National Mall, and within sight of the Washington Monument. The museum, which draws about 1.7 million visitors each year, was closed for the day after the shooting, and nearby streets were cordoned off by police. Surrounding roads were closed at least temporarily and blocked off with yellow tape. Police cars and officers on horseback surrounded the area...

Yeah, I heard about that. D: But, IMO, it´s a little ironic that this happened at the Holocaust museum.

I have always measured the full extent of any given whack-job by how many minutes he takes to mention the "the Jews"; if "Zionist stooges" or The Protocols of the Elders of Zion make the first fifteen minutes, head for the exits -- orderly, quietly, though quickly . . .

Some whack-jobs specialize in other whacked-out things. Fortunately, all but a few are mostly harmless. Unfortunately, ones like that guy can be deadly.

There was a wacko over here about 2 summers ago that sat under overpasses on I-65 and sniped people. B****** killed a trucker and if i remember injured several other drivers. Makes you wonder what the world is coming to...

interesting..........a elderly white guy kills one and there is a post made.....a black muslim kills 2 in Arkansas last week....admits it was "a jihad killing" which makes it a terrorist attack on American soil and i find no posts on it here.......

I hope he gets charged with terrorism

"Interesting" is all you can muster? What do you really want to say?

interesting..........a elderly white guy kills one and there is a post made.....a black muslim kills 2 in Arkansas last week....admits it was "a jihad killing" which makes it a terrorist attack on American soil and i find no posts on it here.......

i think ill stick with "interesting" for now.............

Why not just make a thread on it? Then you'd find posts on it here. I'm sure you'd have plenty of responses.

Here's a question: Last week, a Christian shot a doctor in a church, killing him. That man is now being charged with plain ol' murder. A Muslim shoots two army soldiers, killing one of them. He is now being charged with terrorism.

What's the difference? Why isn't the Christian getting charged with terrorism?

the difference? the muslim said it was an act of terrorism in his own words.....he stated he was committing a jihad on the USA....so he is the one that says it was a terrorist act.....kinda hard to get around that.....

as for the doctor being shot in church....cant understand how a guy that gets daily death threats didnt have his own security force.....i would....

and as far as the elderly guy.....just qualifies as a freaking wacko.....

That's because I'm a black muslim of course! :D

Actually I didn't hear of that, I don't watch TV very often, I just happened to have it on today.

That's because I'm a black muslim of course! :D

lol actually thats basically what i was getting at.....not just here.....the media is making a bigger deal over an old racist white guy that kills one than what amounts to a racist black guy that kills 2 in the name of his religion.....

The abortion doctor was murdered by a man because of religious reasons, no? There was plenty of media coverage there and everyone was white. So... Are you asserting that black folks just don't get enough bad press? lol

Once again, if you find a news article that you find interesting and discussion-worthy for these forums, go ahead and post it. Enlighten us all! ;)

so what? It wasnt widely publicised, whoopty-doo. Theres not some reverse discrimination thing going on here man (or should i say "Der Fuher")...

The abortion doctor was murdered by a man because of religious reasons, no? There was plenty of media coverage there and everyone was white. So... Are you asserting that black folks just don't get enough bad press? lol

Once again, if you find a news article that you find interesting and discussion-worthy for these forums, go ahead and post it. Enlighten us all! ;)

was stating we are supposed to be in a war against terrorism.....someone who calls himself a terrorist kills two Americans on American soil and very few seem to pay attention to it including the major media......

as for the second part.....yah might want to take a poll from all the other mods before yah ask me to do that :D ive got a real good one but its libel to turn into a week long brawl with some here :D

Wait, are you really a Muslim?
No, I'm just razzing Rattler. I don't follow a religion of any sort other than seeking to follow my own true will. What makes me happy today is what I shall do today.

Assalaam Alikum - I know the greeting though!

I work with some Somali muslims, we've hung out together outside of work on occasion. I find it enjoyable to converse with people of different backgrounds and share ideas.

Back