Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the big five soon to be absent from Kenya

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It saddens me to read news like this. I do not disagree with hunting, but of course we need to draw the line somewhere and prevent entire populations of animals from becoming dangerously close to extinction.

What is troubling about this article is the idea of using poison against lions. The animals do not have a chance, and I think this is a low thing to do. Not only did they take out a lion, but also took out numerous vultures. Let's just take out half of the food chain while we're at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    as ppl ive chatted with who spend a good deal of time the problem with Africa is the general attitude of the majority of the natives.....they live for today with no care about tomorrow.....you can kind of see why this attitude has developed living some place where tomorrow morning yah might get eaten by a croc getting while getting water for your breakfast......the black africans are only interested in keeping the critters alive if they are worth something to them.....if money isnt coming via hunters they will just kill the critters for ivory, hides and for bush meat to sell at market......an animal is only going to get saved in africa anytime in the near future is if there is a price on its head.......the price hunters pay is much more than what they get for the animal at market.....so its not only worth it for the natives to keep the big trophy animals around but to keep a solid breeding population going......for this they need wild country which in turn sets aside land for all the lesser critters hunters arent interested in.....

short of waving a magic wand and changing the attitude of all the natives hunting is about the only way to do any good on a large scale short of wiping out all the natives.........
    We don't have to change many words and the paragraph would be about people in the US who oppose endangered species and wilderness protections or limits on logging. I wonder how they'd take it if we sent in heavily-armed patrols to protect wolves and old-growth trees.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the difference being here the majority follow the rules about poaching and such.......a handful dont.....in Africa the reverse seems to be true........only way to really change things is change how the majority think.....in other African countries allowing hunting and making the native critters being alive and worth something makes them interested in keeping them around and alive.....

as far as the wolves.......the feds aint sticking to the rules they gave us....the biologists seem to agree that the wolves are getting to numbers well above the carrying capacity of the country they are running.....yet nothing is being done about it....add that to the fact they never were endangered and there really was no point in reintroducing them to a fragmented habitat......also they reintroduced a subspecies of wolf that is likely a good deal larger than what was originally hereand are a subspecies that runs in larger packs that the one that was originally here....course the various fish and game outfits in the various states do the same stupid crap......they reintroduced Rocky Mountain elk to Tennessee instead of the Manitobian elk which is a heck of alot closer to the now extinct eastern elk that used to live there than the Rocky Mountain subspecies......the government has never been very darn bright on this kinda stuff.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an uproar going on in the northeast now because the states are finally requiring people to get saltwater fishing licenses. The major reason is to get better numbers on fishing pressure and the license fee is pretty low. But, from the reaction, you'd think people are being sent to Soviet work camps.

I'm getting out a broad brush to do some painting here but, in my opinion, those that yell loudest are the same people who demand that trophy-sized trout be dumped in rivers before opening day, then dump bait containers and other trash along the rivers. And they probably don't care which elk is reintroduced as long as it's there to be shot.

Unfortunately, fish & wildlife departments too often see people like that as being their customers and do whatever destructive thing keeps them happy. MT did a great thing years ago and quit stocking trout where wild trout can live. There was an uproar, with some fisheries people yelling as loud as anyone. But they replaced a corn-fed zombie trout fishery with one of the world's greatest wild trout fisheries. Some times the F&W people listen to the ecologists, etc. and get things right, but mostly they want to repeat every bad thing they've ever done.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its only been recently that MT F&G has started with the trout....relatively recently anyways......im all for that....even with the trout being smaller than the introduced we still have some of the best trout fisheries in the US.....heck im heading out in a couple hours to catch the smaller saugers and river run walleye instead of the bigger lake run ones down the road....also going to see if i can hook up a large catfish or sturgeon....other than farm pond bass ive never got a trophy fish though i suppose ive pulled a couple sturgeon out that were close to the state record.......though i only realized that after i had tossed them back.....course most my hunting aint major trophy hunting either.....

most of my major gripes with MT F&G(BTW they didnt want the wolves here anymore than we did) is how the state government makes them run.......if they were given more freedoms and were able to rely heavily on the biologists instead of Helena's bureaucracy filtering the biologists findings first they would be doing alot better......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12