Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee dreck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A geography professor who did much of his research in Jamaica told me 10X more Blue Mountain coffee is sold than is grown. That makes me skeptical of some of the elite coffees. My tastes change and my favorite used to be Huehuetenango (from Guatemala), but maybe that was because it's fun to say, at least while sober.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit - Holy crap theyellowdart, did you actually say "the only problem" is you don't have Dunkin Donuts down there? I'd gladly send all of them down to you. They are like a plague of locusts. They look for a successful, locally-owned bakery or coffeeshop and plunk a Dunkin Donuts across the street or next door. I hate them.
    Haha, really? I never noticed that when we lived in NJ. I wouldn't be surprised, though. Every time I go back up there for a visit, there's another one opened somewhere else.

You can go ahead and send them down. We don't have enough of anything here!
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    A geography professor who did much of his research in Jamaica told me 10X more Blue Mountain coffee is sold than is grown. That makes me skeptical of some of the elite coffees. My tastes change and my favorite used to be Huehuetenango (from Guatemala), but maybe that was because it's fun to say, at least while sober.
    I wouldnt doubt that at all
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I always do 2x what the bag says for each cup, no weak stuff. I usually use two heaping plastic picnic spoonfuls of ground bean per cup, so it probably really equals 3 1/2 -4 spoonfuls. I can still fall asleep halfway through a cup though.

I've got a little electric grinder (about 1/2 cup of beans per filling) and glass clamp container with a rubber seal to keep my ground beans in. Until you loosen the clamp you can't smell what's in the jar. The "clear" rubber seal has turned brown but it never touches the grounds - think of our guts! I have this funnel type thing that sits on your coffee cup. You put a coffee filter in it and the grounds and then nuke some water and filter out one cup.

We don't have any Dunkin Donuts around here but we have their coffee in the stores. Our donut place is called The Donut Connection or something like that. But seeing as I "never" get up before noon or leave the house before 2 pm, I've never been in one!

Cameron's distribution center is in Shakopee, MN (the next town over from mine) but it's in all the grocery stores I've been to in MN. So I don't know if they're regional or this is just one of many depots they have. Look for a black bag with a red medieval lion on it. I haven't dissected their bags but it looks like there's a coin or something shaped like one embedded in the front of the bag too.

I tried Cameron's "Intense French" and nearly puked, an instant dumper. I actually drank about 4 sips to see if it really was as bad as the first sip indicated. That was the most cigarette butt tasting of them all so I'd say to avoid that one, unless you like that - who does? Cameron's sells small bags of all their blends and flavors and individual beans for $1 that will make about 10 of my style cups (probably 20 then) so they're good to experiment with. The Highlander Grog is absolutely awesome (very sweet, rich & smooth even without sugar with sugar, look out!) but it's tolerable only in small occasional amounts. I drank a pound of just that once over a month and never wanted it again for a looooong time! I still buy the small bags of that when I see them but never a whole lot.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use one of those single-cup deals, you should look into getting a cloth filter for it. I had one made from cotton or hemp or something and there was a real noticeable difference versus paper filters. And because they're reuseable, you never have to worry about not being able to make a cup because you're out of filters (or resort to folded up paper towels, gag.)
    Now I want a cup of coffee.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool, is it shaped like a regular filter or a bag? Where do you find them? Are they easy to clean out/do the grounds clog your sink?

I never tried using paper towels, or fabric softener sheets as a filter... Brawny Kona Snuggle Blend!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kona blend, should have been an instant give-a-way. Most companies that sell "Kona Blend" put just enough in to justify putting that on the label. There is also a company called "Kona Blend", there products contain no Kona whatsoever. Jamaican Blue Mountain, when it's done right is like tasting the perfect watermelon. Also after the hurricane season with Katrina, blue mountain coffee was all but wiped out. I'm the Master Roaster for beancentral.com so I may be a little biased when it comes ti commenting on other brands, but dunkin' has a pretty good cup. One thing to try with your Kona blend bags, is to add a pinch of salt to the grounds before brewing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adough View Post
    ......There is also a company called "Kona Blend", there products contain no Kona whatsoever..
    yep, I have come across it before...

Where would be a good source for a little true blue?

Av

http://www.konacoffeefarmers.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast