Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee dreck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coffee dreck

Whale dreck was a substance they had leftover and no use for when they cooked down whales after whaling. I just bought a bag of "Kona Blend" Coffee by "High Mountain Kona" or some such brand and brewed a cup straightaway. It was absolutely terrible, hence my new term "coffee dreck".
    The girl at the counter even raved to me about how she loved this brand...

I don't know how many of you drink coffee but I like it when I'm at home. I don't drink it anywhere else, cos I don't like it anywhere else. So far I only like Kona Blend by Cameron's Coffee (it has the red heraldic lion/shield on the bag of beans). Other coffees I've tried gag me, tasting rather like a cigarette butt is floating in the cup. My dad drinks Folgers, he gave me a cup of that and I dumped it out when he wasn't looking. I've noticed most coffee beans are black when ground up and have that putrid tobbacco taste but when I grind up Cameron's it's brown and has a really nice smooth flavor (almost a cocoa like aftertaste) even though it's black when brewed and I use it at 2x.

Just curious if anyone else is this picky about coffee or if it's just me... I keep looking for other "good brands" but can't find anything that doesn't taste nasty.

What kind/brand coffee do you like?

Have you ever had pure Kona coffee instead of the Kona Blends ? It's $20 a lb plus postage but if it's better/smoother than even Cameron's I'd like to try it.

Anyone try the "Civet Cat Coffee"?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's usually pretty good coffee available around here, so I don't have to be too choosy about brands. One trick I have learned is to put a little splash of cold, fresh water into the coffee immediately after brewing it. According to several of my biochemists friends, adding water to coffee halts a catalytic reaction that causes coffee to develop bitterness as it cools.
    I had some sort of Kona once that was really good. I assume it was fairly authentic, as it came from my godfather in Hawaii. I haven't found anything quite like it since, so if you really dig coffee it might be worth it to splurge on a bag.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fond of the Dunkin' Donuts coffee, whether it's from a bag at home or a cup purchased right at the store. The only problem is there aren't any stores in my area! Good thing I'm headed back up to NJ next week.

I don't really like Starbucks Coffee. It tastes kind of burnt or over-brewed to me.
    Although, one exception is their holiday coffees. I've always enjoyed those, particularly the Christmas flavors.

Right now I've been drinking the Folger's instant coffee, because that's all my parents have in the house. I don't think it's too bad when mixed with some flavored coffee mate. (Have you ever had any of that? It'll turn almost any bad coffee good.)

I'll have to give that Cameron's Coffee a try.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also only like home brewed/made coffee.

Though I've beento Colombia and I've had the reall thing over there, since the town is near acres of coffe plantations. It's pretty good coffe.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have leftover coffee (with no cream and or sugra natch) pour it on your neps once it's cold- a few folks I know including myself did it and it gave really good results

I can't drink the stuff, makes me dizzy
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If coffee is even just a little too weak, it'll taste like crap. So, if you still have that Kona, maybe try making it a little stronger.

I order coffee from a roaster in RI - http://www.newharvestcoffee.com/ - and recruit other people to combine an order because the place gives a 20% discount on orders of 12 lb or more and also because the shipping gets divided between more bags. I used to order Community coffee from New Orleans because that's what I liked in college. The other people who order with me all switched from things like Dunkin Donuts coffee.

We buy whole beans and grind them with hand-crank Zassenhaus grinders that I bought cheap on eBay years ago. Coffee is much better if ground right before brewing instead of weeks or months ahead of time. Some specialty shops have a few bags of ground coffee for sale and I wonder how long it sits on the shelf before finally selling. It could have been the greatest stuff ever when it arrived, but it'll be dreck a year later. Over time, everyone who orders with me has switched to whole beans like we did. It makes a huge difference, especially for those who take a while to get through a bag.

That place doesn't have Kona (or cat poop coffee either) but has a huge variety and we go from one to the next. I guess I prefer the African coffees, but I like trying different ones. I doubt I'd pay the extra for the rare types. We mix 1:3 regular to decaf, because I don't want too much caffeine, and use that blend to fill our wall-mount grinder. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices in decaf. My wife wants more caffeine, so she grinds regular beans in our smaller grinder for a mid-day boost.

I generally go for medium to dark roasts, but not French roast, which tastes like the stuff scraped off a grill at the end of a holiday weekend. I avoid flavored coffee unless I'm getting a cup of coffee somewhere that has awful coffee. A splash of flavored coffee can cover the nastiness without adding too much ickiness.

edit - Holy crap theyellowdart, did you actually say "the only problem" is you don't have Dunkin Donuts down there? I'd gladly send all of them down to you. They are like a plague of locusts. They look for a successful, locally-owned bakery or coffeeshop and plunk a Dunkin Donuts across the street or next door. I hate them.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer medium to dark roasts of Latin-American coffees. I personally find African coffees to have too earthy of a taste for me. If you like the lighter type bean you described above, you should try Gevalia coffee. Of the varieties I have tried from them, they have all been outstanding (except for the one that comes in the blue/purple box [I must interergect here. I could be blue or purple because I am colorblind, and can't really tell what it is.]) I'm pretty sure the nasty one is signature blend. Breakfast blend is out of this world.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drink a Kona blend... enjoying some at this moment, there are some beans that come from the blue mountain in jamaca that are suppose to be exceptional..

but right now Kona/Kona blends are my fav.... plus i can find them for sale locally

I like to roll my own, good stuff....
    Av

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast