Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which came first?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which came first?

I just had a brainspark, and thought how can darlingtonia change, evolve, their shape to look like a snake, when they have no eyes. Snakes have eyes. Who knows how they looked like before the Darlingtonia. So, which do you think came first? The snake plant, or the snake reptile?

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Darlingtonia evolved to look like a snake on purpose. Through much trial and error, the plant probably figured out that it's current form was the best shape for catching insects in it's habitat at the time.
    Just a co-inky-dink.

Funny though... Today I was pondering on how CPs can further evolve; I thought about them eventually developing some kind of organ that releases CO2 to help them catch mosquitoes.
    But then I thought, how would they know that that is an effective method for attracting insects?
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snake and the cobra plant evolved separately, and the only link between the two is the one we imbue upon them with our consciences. As far as my googling has taken me, the first carnivorous plants appeared before the first snakes.

TRUTH.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While not directly Darlingtonia V snake debate related, in the Nepenthes volume of Flora Malesiana (#14?) it mentions fossil droseraecae pollen (of which Neps being related apparently) being 10x larger than currently. Just think of plants 10x bigger, 20 cm pitchers being 200 cm pitchers...

Of course it would take a dragonfly with a 3 ft wingspan to feed such pitchers and those are so hard to come by anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the snakey people can correct or add to this, but I remember reading that snakes might have been an evolutionary response to the increasing number of fast moving, warm-blooded animals. I can see that, since a snake can strike at its prey more quickly than a lizard can run at its prey.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think plants evolved to become carnivorous. I think they were created that way.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *blocks the imminent debate on intellegent design & creationism vs. evolution*
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. This starts up and I'm outa here!

Laaaaaaaaaaaate.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast