Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: seriously PETA?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate PETA, animals eat other animals, its life, and we are animals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what does PETA actually do? lol what's the point?
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petmantis View Post
    So what does PETA actually do? lol what's the point?
    They sylph around the country, deploring everything from maintaining zoos, factory farms, utilizing fur, eating meat -- and some even swearing off the use of any animal products, including milk and cheese. Yet those who were protesting here in SF the last time were all sporting leather or suede shoes.

Go figure . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    petmantis, after reading through this thread, I am with you. It doesn't seem like there is a clear goal. I did some digging on their official site and found this:

http://www.peta.org/FeatureSexiestVe...nCelebrity.asp

Defnitely seems like there is a pop culture spin to it. It's almost like reading PEOPLE magazine, so Pyro is right on when he said they have lots of support from people with money. I personally think it is a group of deconstructionists masquerading as an organization that actually cares about animals.

But that's just me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at that hand held bug catcher thing they're pushing! LOL

I could see myself attempting to remove a wasp from my immediate work area with that thing and getting stung anyway. No, if it's bothering me, it dies so that I don't. I'll take the stance that, "I need my life to fight for theirs", like Mary Beth Sweetland says. Except I'm not fighting for theirs. Close enough, right? LOL

PETA is made up of nut cases. I wish their nut case supporters would open their eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PETA is so ridiculous that it's impossible to spoof it without most people thinking it's real.

BigBella is absolutely right and PETA hurts its cause the same way bible thumpers turn a lot of people away from Christianity. PETA doesn't have as much money, relatively speaking, as some of you think, which is why it relies on media circuses and celebrity photo ops. It looks for free publicity because paid publicity is expensive. Unfortunately, its stupid stunts and campaigns result in people who don't know any better equating animal rights with PETA, which is wrong, wrong, wrong.

According to the Wikipedia article (which references sources I haven't checked), PETA has 2 million members and its revenues in 2007 were $31 million. I'd rather that money and all those supporters were doing something productive (imagine NASC with money to do something with Sarracenia habitat), but contrast PETA's finances with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, which has an annual budget of $55+ million.

For real muscle, look at the NRA, which Wikipedia lists as having almost 4 million members and an income of $205 million in 2004. That's how the NRA is able to spend so much in political campaigns ($10 million against Obama in 2008) while PETA scrounges for free media attention.

Criticize PETA all you want and you won't hear a word of disagreement from me. But don't think it is representative of people who are concerned about animal welfare or are vegetarian, liberal or whatever. It isn't.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the majority of their supporters have good intentions, they just let PETA pull the wool over their eyes. It's the few militant-minded extremists in any cause that make things go awry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still nobody has said what Animal Rights groups are "worthy of support"...

Personally I don't think anything ever gets noticed/fixed/done without militant revolutionary action and plenty of it. I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). Breaking into vivisection laboratories of cosmetics companies and circuses and stealing the animals. Rehabilitating them back into whatever life is possible left for them to have. These are two abuses of animals I see as completely pointless and are two institutions worthy of ending. I think the ALF is much more active in Europe than the US. But that's the kinda thing I respect a lot more than naked women on a billboard.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast