Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: seriously PETA?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Still nobody has said what Animal Rights groups are "worthy of support"...

Personally I don't think anything ever gets noticed/fixed/done without militant revolutionary action and plenty of it. I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front). Breaking into vivisection laboratories of cosmetics companies and circuses and stealing the animals. Rehabilitating them back into whatever life is possible left for them to have. These are two abuses of animals I see as completely pointless and are two institutions worthy of ending. I think the ALF is much more active in Europe than the US. But that's the kinda thing I respect a lot more than naked women on a billboard.
    The ASPCA comes to mind.

I am a biologist who cut his teeth working at labs which occasionally utilized rodents, fish, and a number of invertebrates (for medical and environmental testing). Welcome to primary research.

Members of the ALF or one of its splinter groups (it was never too clear to the cops) thought it suitable to set fire to the facility. One of the workers -- an intern -- received fairly serious burns to his hands and face.

I see.

We must burn the village in order to save it . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I see an animal rights group that goes after the meat-industrial complex, while leaving the hunters & dog owners alone, I'll know one that's worthy of support.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I understand vivisection in regards to medical research, my old man's running around on a pig valve - I probly ate the steaks! Veterinary medicine also advances through this sort of research which is good. Though some of these medical labs need tighter restrictions on how they acquire animals... For a while there was people's pets going missing one summer (taken off their leashes in the yard) and winding up being sold to the U of M labs for $25 each.

However cosmetics research is another story. As far as I'm concerned unnecessary since not all companies do it and make the same products. I can't stand animal trick shows, circuses, bull fights, rodeos, etc.. I love those When Animals Attack shows!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love those When Animals Attack shows!
    Who doesn't? I was five blocks away when those drunken, stoned sub-idiots taunted Tatiana, the Siberian Tiger at the SF Zoo. The greatest loss was in the death of that 300 pound cat, put down by police. Those idiots should all have been eaten but two managed to get away. To think that that cat was tracking them across the zoo.

Now, there's some suspense . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid two teenagers went into the St. Paul city zoo late at night and threw rocks at the polar bears who live in a open air enclosure. Injuring both bears then one of the kids fell in over the bars and was killed by the less injured bear. The other kid ran home and told what happened. This was the worst zoo ever when I was a kid - it's a free zoo so just imagine an animal "ghetto" or rather a penal colony as each dwelt in an iron and cement cell like on the old westerns.

I don't see why they didn't use a tranquilizer dart on that big cat. As far as I remember they didn't kill the polar bears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Gardener View Post
    I think the majority of their supporters have good intentions, they just let PETA pull the wool over their eyes. It's the few militant-minded extremists in any cause that make things go awry.
    The President of PETA would be one of those militant types, who has said, on public record (you can find the recording online if you look for it) that blowing up facilities and people is an acceptable means to get the PETA message across. When the person who runs the organization is pushing that message do you think there is any way you can reason with any of them?

Still nobody has said what Animal Rights groups are "worthy of support"...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The ASPCA comes to mind.
    Yes. And your local animal shelters and SPCAs. Do not give to major national organizations because by and large their agendas are not what you think they are.

Personally I don't think anything ever gets noticed/fixed/done without militant revolutionary action and plenty of it. I eat meat so go ahead and scream hypocrite right now and get it out of your system however I agree mostly with the ALF (Animal Liberation Front).
    Swords, in some cases I agree with you but in this case I do not. When the life of a person is worth less than the life of a rat (or 1000 rats) then there is a serious problem. ALF, both here and in Europe, have taken human lives in their crusades. I will never condone those actions. I do not care what animals they are saving.

I am a biologist who cut his teeth working at labs which occasionally utilized rodents, fish, and a number of invertebrates (for medical and environmental testing). Welcome to primary research.
    I am right there with you Big. I hardly ever discuss my animal work days (and I am not going to go into detail here) but I have had them. And I know for fact that one series of them resulted in changes that saved lives. I do not care if you hate me but those rats were bred specifically for use in research. They are a tool to be used and I used them for that purpose. I do not think that makes me wrong. If you disagree, so be it. But if you threaten or attempt to take my life to "save the rats" (which you are just going to turn around and kill anyways) because you disagree then there is a huge problem with your perception of the world...

Members of the ALF or one of its splinter groups (it was never too clear to the cops) thought it suitable to set fire to the facility. One of the workers -- an intern -- received fairly serious burns to his hands and face.
    Members of ALF also firebombed the house of a researcher. While she was home. Their intent was to kill her.

I see.

We must burn the village in order to save it . . .
    Not just the village but the villagers as well it seems.

Personally I am just biding my time. They have gone to the point where swatting flies is a heinous crime, it will not be long before it is wrong to take vaccines or antibiotics for fear of harming the viruses and bacteria. And once they stop making use of modern medicine then we can watch them try to "reason" with the infections diseases they get. The day someone can talk flesh-eating strep out of being a pathogen is the day hang up my hat for good.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I despise the whole angry mob mentality. As herenorthere said, bible thumpers can in a sense be compared with PETA or similar radical organizations because they have been known to do things that contradict what they claim. PETA goes to great lengths and essentially minimizes human life and politicizes everything. In the same way some Christians (unfortunately) try to sabotage abortion clinics and in some cases even burn them down.

Bottom line is this... a person can take ANYTHING and politicize it. What PETA and these so called Christians do is rotten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct Baylor, ANYTHING can be politicized. And what PETA and "radical" Christians do is indeed rotten. What really distresses me is that they get so much public support despite being so rotten. WHY do people support and condone such despicable behavior??
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast