What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to wash play sand...

• Thread starter obregon562
  • Start date

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
TF,

Well, my nursery failed me in the sand department. All they had was playsand! *gasp!*

ANyways, how can i (if at all), make this suitable for CPs? I know this is a rookie question but im a rookie in the washing of sand area haha! :)

Thanks,
Frankie

For some reason, I think that some grades of play sand are ok to use. I can not help you beyond that.

I would wander around and try to find a source for horticultural sand. Play sand can be a number of different materials, some chemically unsuitable for creepy plants. One thing I would do is to determine whether the sand is acidic or basic or somewhere in between, which can quickly be determined by adding vinegar to a small amount of sand. If it foams or reacts like a third-grade science experiment, dispose of it. If there is no reaction, you're good to go.

I have never washed sand -- ever . . .

I would place a bath towel over a screen and spread the sand over the towel. Then I'd use a garden hose to rinse it. Or you can use a tall bucket and constantly swish and empty.

I too have always wondered about sand. Unfortunately it seems like horticultural sand is hard to find in my area. I have been using what they call desert sand and so far so good.

I've used pool filter sand as well as the Home Depot. Building Materails 'All Purpose' sand. The 'tube sand' people buy in winter to weigh down their pickup trucks is the same sand. Just rinse for the dust.

I used pool sand for my Cephs I just got. Its too early to tell if it is killing them(I'm sure they are fine), but it was very different from the play sand that the Depot carries.

The sand I got was #20, and it made a beautiful media for my Cephs. 1:1:1 of Peat, Perlite and Pool Sand (PPP)

Look at the bag - it should say what the sand is. If it is silica or quartz you are probably ok but it should be rinsed thoroughly as salts are commonly used in the manufacturing process.

Pool filter sand can sometimes be zeolite. Avoid this as it can release potassium into your potting mixture.

To rinse sand put it in a bucket or large pan add water and pour out. Repeat until the water is clear. Or bury the end of a water hose on the bottom and run the water with enough flow so that the sand does not overflow out of the bucket/pan. Run until clear. Stirring helps speed the process.

I'm not washing any sand either. Too much water to waste for Cali....that wasting habit can be expensive here this year.
No go on the pool filter sand...it's not pure.
Lately i'm using the sandblasting sand they have in the construction materials area at H D and it seem to work just fine. It's a fine, washed, gray sand.

Look at the bag - it should say what the sand is. If it is silica or quartz you are probably ok but it should be rinsed thoroughly as salts are commonly used in the manufacturing process.

Pool filter sand can sometimes be zeolite. Avoid this as it can release potassium into your potting mixture.

To rinse sand put it in a bucket or large pan add water and pour out. Repeat until the water is clear. Or bury the end of a water hose on the bottom and run the water with enough flow so that the sand does not overflow out of the bucket/pan. Run until clear. Stirring helps speed the process.

That's the first negative appraisal I've seen of pool filter sand. It may actually be good for Mexican pings, though. I also use the sand at the shore of the creek that runs by us.

Back