Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pet bat - Bitey!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well mexican bat poo is used as a fertilizer, but that raccoon looks so cute and like one of my ferrets oh and very cute bat. We have 2 that fly around the house every night although i haven't seen them much this year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read online before that some people keep giant fruit bats as pets. I did some google searching and found a few photos. Here's a couple of them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monument/968070403/

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...F7l0dlQfFSDPVw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IG's 2nd link leads directly to the bizarro universe, where someone named Marika has a pet bat named Jonathan.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful, a lot of bats (flying rats) carry lice and even rabies. Don't get bit trying to rid your house of it.

Wear gardening gloves and use an old bath towel to "net" it and return it back outdoors.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So cool! I dig bats special! Once when I was a kid I was walking into the magazine/comic shop with my mom and a whole flock of bats were roosting on the wall of the shop which was built of some fancy bricks that had large recesses in it. They were very small about 3-4" all snuggled up. I thought it was a bunch of moths at first. I asked my mom if I could capture one to bring home but needless to say she didn't care much for the idea. Nowadays I might do it if the opportunity presented itself (I've never seen anything like that again) but I'd probly get rabies in the process!

Will bats kept as pets learn to eat crickets? I mean the ones around here in MN eat mosquitos and stuff don't they? Running a mosquito hatchery in the tub doesn't sound so hot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zoo I like to visit, and who's curator I know, used to have a bat exhibit. The exhibit was there, and the bats weren't last I was there.

There was no glass between the bats and the visitors, but rather a wall made up of closely spaced monofilament line strung vertically. It was a really nice exhibit. It had sculpted cave-like walls, floor, and ceiling and was kept quite dark. There were never any flying insects present; mosquitoes or otherwise. So they had to be fed something else. I just have never asked what. Until you brought it up, I never even thought of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most wildlife, bats do not do well in captivity. Most die within the first year of captivity vs their full life span in the wild. They are social animals, have very active life styles, and intense daily dietary requirements.

While they are considered by some to be a rabies vector animal, less than 1% of their population is actually infected. And as anything coming from the wild, it will naturally have all types of horrible things on it as well.

When we take in a baby raccoon at the shelter, the first step is to remove all the ticks from within their ears, eyes and toes. I usually stop counting after the 30th tick. I've also seen rabbits with fleas pouring out of them, and even watched a baby bird be devoured by mites within 2 mins of it entering the office.

(and I only work there on saturdays!)

In general is always best to live in harmony with the animals around us, and let them live happily out side as well.

If you want the chance to see crazy critters, volunteer at your local wildlife rehab center. Trust me, you'll be happy, tired, and enjoy leaving them there until next week.

-Nate
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't even dream of keeping bat with my two young cats, they'd make short work of a bat, bird or sugar glider. I know cos they kill birds sleeping on the roof at night and deliver them under the dining room table periodically throughout the year!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast