Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing Sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growing Sphagnum

I haven't came across too many threads on this topic so I thought I would share the things I have had the most success with.

I put my spare sphagnum in a large orchid basket that has a few holes drilled in the bottom and is filled with about 1-2 inches of perlite. The perlite is to keep the sphagnum just above the water line.

Next, I place the basket in a tray of water and fill at or below the perlite. This insures that the sphagnum is not submerged for extended periods but has plenty of water.

Under heavy flourescent lights, I find that I have had plenty of sphagnum to top dress many pots and also have some handy nurseries availble for various cuttings.

Here is a pic of my sphagnum garden/CP Nursery complete with red and green sphagnum. I just received the red and would really like to split it into two baskets if I only had the room. Under these conditions, sparse areas become dense in a matter of weeks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use live sphagnum a great deal, especially as a top dressing for Nepenthes, Cephalotus, and Heliamphora -- and as a component in mixes for most plants. While it is now far more common to obtain in its live form, I have always had good luck with the germination of spores in the dried New Zealand sphagnum. The live moss I raise outdoors in undrained germination trays and keep partially submerged.

Here was a thread of mine from Summer 2008: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...light=bigbella
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be a west coast thing. I too have had sphagnum spontaneously start growing from dried. But only from material received from other forum members. The kind I buy here has never once sprouted anything green. I get it in the compressed sheets that you wouldn't even think was sphagnum until you add water and the material blows up like a ballon. I am talking compressed! So much so that it looks like a piece of particle board.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    It must be a west coast thing. I too have had sphagnum spontaneously start growing from dried. But only from material received from other forum members. The kind I buy here has never once sprouted anything green. I get it in the compressed sheets that you wouldn't even think was sphagnum until you add water and the material blows up like a ballon. I am talking compressed! So much so that it looks like a piece of particle board.
    Perhaps that compressed sphagnum is processed all to hell ( I think that I have seen it before), but the standard New Zealand or Chilean sphagnum all seem to "sprout" -- regardless of any and all sterilization claims. Both are readily available online from most carnivorous plant and orchid suppliers . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bag's with in a tub on the porch. I toss leaves and sundew seeds in there:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got one of those plastic tubs about the size of a shoebox and plopped some standard peat in the bottom. After that I just shred a few live moss plugs over the wet peat, cover it, and it takes off like gangbusters. I'll try and get a pic later today.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

Does yours grow? Mine always seems to rot when it is that wet. But I do grow mine indoors without the assistance of sunlight and fresh air to stave off those pesky mold spores and algae plooms (spellling?).

EdaxFlamma,
    That sounds like a good method as well. Does your moss get black tips as a result of the lower layer of peat?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Algal blooms . . ."

Indoor growing with insufficient light and arir movement poses the biggest problem with cultivating sphagnum, considering their high moisture requirements; and I was only truly successful growing it outdoors in full sun where it outstripped any algae that managed to form . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast