What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packing for Florida~

Well, its that time already....Time to pack up, and leave for nearly 3 weeks. 3 weeks without my plants, im sure they will be fine....ive gone over it time and time again with my step dad, made him a check list...he understands it.....
Hopefully ill see some sarras, i will check TF once in awhile on my phone, but i wont be around much, anyone in the Jacksonville area or neighboring counties should hit me up, i would love to meet up with some other TF members from that area.
i plan on searching for sarras, pings, dews, utrics, you name it. while im not spending time with friends for family.
Thankfully, my wonderful GF is able to accompany me on this trip...
Will post pics when i return
Good Growing
~Kris

I hope you enjoy Florida. ;)

The only places that I know CPs grow are near Orlando, Cocoa (Which is like, 170-200 miles away, lol) and counties around the pandhandle. I REALLY wish I can go out and look for CPs, but I can;t right now. :/

Anyway, I hope you have a great vacation visiting familiy. :D

Enjoy an appetizer of alligator tail . . .

i love gatortail lol
i lived in florida for 14 years, so its nothing really new to me....just visiting my dad and some old friends.

I live in the Tampa area, and the only carnivorous plants I've seen in the wild are Drosera Capillaris, Utricularia Subulata, and Utricularia Gibba. I think I saw some Drosera brevifolia, but I wasn't sure. It could have been a young Drosera Capillaris.

i love gatortail lol
i lived in florida for 14 years, so its nothing really new to me....just visiting my dad and some old friends.

I've lived in Florida for 24 years and have never had it but always wanted to try it.

Where do people get gator? I'd catch one myself and roast it but I don't know how legal that would be.. :confused:

There are a few restaurants that sell it...one of them was like...built on the side of a swamp lol.
EDIT:
Also guys, im finishing my last minute packing right now....
I will post on my arrival to the airport in Jacksonville, have a fun 4th guys, ima be stuck 32k feet in the air for all of it D:<

Have fun with hours...and hours...and hours of flying and with the airport. :D

There are restaurants in CT & MA that have alligator on the menu so, if you can't find it in FL, try just about anywhere else where there are cajun restaurant/bars. Whoever it is that's thinking of going the DIY route, just use the tail - I think that's the part people use. At least that's what someone I knew in MS who poached the occasional alligator said.

Arrived last night, safe and sound. Was actually the fastest plane ride from WA to FL I've ever done. From WA to atlanta, took 4 hours 20 minutes. Then 50 minutes from atlanta to jax.
My gf and I are working on settling in, going down to the old part of st augustine today (haven't been there in 3 years now) and we just woke up, also caught a couple anoles just for the hell of it, lol.

Enjoy your vacation! and make sure you take some pics if you get a chance to visit a couple bogs! Hope you only get good weather :D

Glad to hear you had a safe trip. :) I haven't been to St. Augustine in like, ever. I was a baby the last I went, I think.

little update:
ive been here for 10 days, past few days have been a little rough
grandmother in the hospital for heart complications
sister having multiple seizures
mother in the hospital for potential surgery on intestines for a fold in them?
then my fathers hernia has worsened....past week has been rough, but its getting better...
went for a walk today, im at my sisters for the time being.
saw an N. ventrata growing on someones porch, covered in pitchers, i was like HEY a nep! lol
well i stopped to see if anyone was home and to ask if that was all they grew, no one answered...oh well
lol
Contacted my house in WA yesterday, plants are doing fine.....ill be home next tuesday.....
going to the okeefenokee swamp tomorrow hopefully or thursday....
thunderstorm coming in, no surger protector on this comp...so i better go

Oh, man, that really sucks. I hope they get better. :) Have a great time at Okeefenokee Swamp!

ok im not one to post family things, especially ones like this, but i need advice or some other peoples views on a certain matter.....
So...my mom is in a lot of pain, and they dont know whats been causing it....
for 30 someodd years this has been going on....
The doctors have said MS, Lupus, Cancer.......Various forms of Porphyria (is what they believe now) and some other crap....
she had 2 days of no pain finally the other day
but then yesterday morning, she sends out these text messages (mind you in 2900 miles away in florida, with my gf visiting family)
And the texts read
Goodbye Kris
Goodbye Taylor (my gf)
Goodbye Krissy (my sister)
Goodbye Contessa (another one of my sisters)
and to my step dad
Michael, this is goodbye, i love you, youll find happiness.

Ok so after i got the initial text saying goodbye, i thought it was a joke since half an hour earlier i sent her a message saying the power was out from a transformer blowing up, and she knows i dont handle heat too well....
Well, I try and call her, no responce
i text her, no responce
a few minutes after i receive my text, Taylor gets the text saying goodbye.
So i get a little freaked out and worried and call my stepdad

Mind you, my mom has been staying in a hotel room for the past couple of weeks because there is mold in the downstairs bathroom that has been making her sick, so they are pulling the walls out right now and repairing the damage and cleaning it up.....

But anyway, So i find out these texts have been sent to other family members
We cant get ahold of her, she wouldnt answer her cellphone, or her hotel phone....

So we begin to worry more
we call the actual hotel and ask if they could check, but the clerk replies with
"We saw her leave in her car half an hour ago"

Well, ok crap...now shes doing what shes done before to my other family before i was born,
trying to run away (atleast thats what it sounds like)

I sit and think...
and i remember, HEY!!! the car has onstar and a GPS system....
I contact my step dad again, and tell him
he calls onstar,
but now since it seems she could be suicidal, shes a threat/danger to herself or others.
So, the police get involved (we had no choice at this point, we were just trying to stop her from doing something stupid)
Michael cant leave the house because there are people there pulling the walls out for the mold

So, a few minutes later
They find her. eating a snack on the side of the road in a car, in the middle of a pass between Seattle and Spokane.

She is now screaming that Michael betrayed her....and that he should have just let her go

Well, i texted her later on after this saying i needed to talk to her

she replies
"Stay in florida, and do not come back"
Well, uh
I have my gf here with me, i kind of have to come back...im not letting her fly on her on for one
for two, Michael owns that house, he said i have a place to stay there......

Today, she is still raging angry, and screaming Divorce at my stepdad, and betrayal and all of that jolly good crap.....

Do you guys think we handled it properly?

This sounds very serious. You should be seeking professional help instead of asking for opinions on a forum.

But if you want to hear the opinion of a regular joe...

What else was there to do? If you thought she was going to harm or herself or others, whether it was intentionally or unintentionally, then swift action (calling the police) needed to be taken. It doesn't sound like there was too much more that could have been done other than that.

Well as much as i would like it to be as simple as getting professional help, with my mother, its not that simple....shes done stuff like this before, well similar but not near to this degree.
when the cops found her they could only ask her to go get help, but couldnt force it as she is an adult, blah blah blah....
Im hoping it blows over, i just wanted to know if other people would have done the same thing in my situation....
i wish i could help more, but i wont be back in Washington till tuesday afternoon....

1st, I'm very sorry about your troubles.
Is she on pain meds or others that might have a mental impact on her thinking?
I know alcohol, pain, and anxiety drugs can severely change a person mentally and physically.
You don't have to answer that here but it's something to think about.
Peace,
Zero

Sitting in the airport waiting for the plane....going from jacksonville to atlanta, atlanta to seattle....can't wait to get home, its been a crazy vacation...

Back