User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Fireworks Found Being Sold in Wis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Irish need apply! LOL!

I just haven't seen any racist anti-Irish fireworks, If you show them I'd say "Man that's not cool" to that too.

The Colbert Report last week said with Sotamayors nomination us Whites were finally well on our way to oppression:
    "Caged at Last! Caged at last! Thank god almighty we're caged at last!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [REMOVED BY AUTHOR DUE TO PEOPLE'S REACTIONS]. Let's not like this become like the MJ thread.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Burning of a flag is the most offensive statement one can make of a country.
    While it is an offense, and to some a significant one, I think "most offensive" is definitely a matter of subjectivity. Would you say that burning a flag was more offensive than the 9/11 attacks? Or how about hogtying naked prisoners and taking humiliating photographs of them? Let's not forget the US military's own home-grown strategy of airdropping Islamic nations with butchered pork to force their citizens to violate their religious codes of conduct.
    Really - a flag is an effigy of a country, a symbol for that country's intents, accomplishments, and history. There are all sorts of people in the Middle East who have perfectly good reasons to be angry at the USA, and I'd much rather have them burning a flag to express their anger than hijacking planes or sending mailbombs.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, some groups are more sensitive then others. Let's not like this become like the MJ thread.
    Yes, I have that feeling as well about this thread. But don't worry about me. I wouldn't intentionally do anything outside of the bounds of the rules of this forum. Plus I like all of you guys and gals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is an offense, and to some a significant one, I think "most offensive" is definitely a matter of subjectivity. Would you say that burning a flag was more offensive than the 9/11 attacks? Or how about hogtying naked prisoners and taking humiliating photographs of them? Let's not forget the US military's own home-grown strategy of airdropping Islamic nations with butchered pork to force their citizens to violate their religious codes of conduct.
    Really - a flag is an effigy of a country, a symbol for that country's intents, accomplishments, and history. There are all sorts of people in the Middle East who have perfectly good reasons to be angry at the USA, and I'd much rather have them burning a flag to express their anger than hijacking planes or sending mailbombs.
    I couldn't agree more at just cause for being angry at the US. If you follow US history you will know that there was a time when we were like Switzerland. Why we got off of that path, I have no idea.

Of course these are all more significant, physically. I am talking symbolic.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Er - I wrote the following as an addendum to my last post but I'll move it here for clarity:

Also, what you first cited was the media coverage of flag-burning. Isn't that a little off base? Why should any legitimate news outlet be criticized for showing an event that actually happened? I don't follow at all; that's not offensive - it's called reporting. Sometimes the news is unpleasant.
    Even if you are talking about flag-burning itself, I don't think that's on the same level as racist cartoons that encourage violence against a particular racial group. Flag burning is usually a message of anger, so of course it isn't something to be happy about, but it also isn't a direct and literal endorsement of violence. The packaging of these fireworks is both an endorsement of violence, and an endorsement of racism, and I think that's much more dangerous and narrow-minded than the myriad reasons one might have to burn a flag in protest.
    Besides which, what does persecuting Arabs have to do with the fourth of July? As far as I'm concerned, this is the antithesis of what Independence Day is about. This should be a holiday where, above all else, we remember core American values; freedom, brotherhood, and the right to peacefully pursue our lives without discrimination and undue interference.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing what you're getting at, dashman.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the VFW Magazine I read at work, the proper way to retire an old or worn US flag is to burn it.

Flag retirement ritual:

http://post369.columbus.oh.us/scouti...ag.retire.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. My last post, I am going out of town tommorow and my wife is already yelling at me. I'll try to follow up with you when I return.

Thanks seedjar for the engaging converation. I hope there are no hard feelings towards me, as I have none towards you.

Also, what you first cited was the media coverage of flag-burning. Isn't that a little off base?
    I don't think so. I think it is relative. You have a fireworks company who is selling fireworks with
    derogatory statements on them. Why do you think that they think this is a good idea? I think it is because they think they can sell them?
    They are thinking that the market in mind has an anti-(insert other side here) sentiment.

Why should any legitimate news outlet be criticized for showing an event that actually happened?
    I didn't criticize media outlets for reporting the news. I am just stating that it is offensive to a large number of citizens.

I don't follow at all; that's not offensive - it's called reporting.
    Yes, it is called reporting. But, it is offensive to a large number of US citizens.

Sometimes the news is unpleasant.
    Yep. More times than not it seems.

Even if you are talking about flag-burning itself, I don't think that's on the same level as racist cartoons
    that encourage violence against a particular racial group.
    Really, a statement that endorces the inhallation of an entire country that supports all races is not as bad?

Flag burning is usually a message of anger, so of course it isn't something to be happy about,
    but it also isn't a direct and literal endorsement of violence.
    Yes, it is the symbolic statement of ... "I wish you were dead! (Insert country name here).

The packaging of these fireworks is both an endorsement of violence, and an endorsement of racism, and I think that's much more dangerous and narrow-minded than the myriad reasons one might have to burn a flag in protest. Besides which, what does persecuting Arabs have to do with the fourth of July?
    As far as I'm concerned, this is the antithesis of what Independence Day is about. This should be a holiday where, above all else, we remember core American values; freedom, brotherhood, and the right to peacefully pursue our lives without discrimination and undue interference.
    I think it is a company trying to make money off of a anti-(insert country name here) sentiment.
    Even worse, the company that made the fireworks are probably not from the US. I agree that this
    is not what America is all about.

My point is that you hear all of the time how America encourages diversity and understanding.
    If a person or group rallies against races or religions, it is quickly rebuked.
    Yet this is not the case elsewhere.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast