Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WAter filter~ Brita

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I remeasured the filtered stuff at room temperature (it was out of the fridge before at about 36F). It measures at 236 ppm which is what about the drop that Nightsky reported.

I wouldn't use it on my plants.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mainly pitcher water that has a water filter. it has proved no problem to any of my cps in the 3+years using it.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what does that prove? Your local water may be perfectly fine to use straight out of the tap as it is. Try using Nightsky's water for 3+ years and see how your plants do. If you don't have any TDS readings for us to relate to all bets are off the table.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...very interesteing. How would one go about getting there water tested?
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can check to see if your municipality water department will do a water quality check for you. Otherwise a hydroponics or aquarium/tropical fish supply store would probably test a sample for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive always used regular tap water for my plants! they do just fine. im even using well water right now and it has a definate mineral odor to it. still no bad effect. would top watering everyday leech out the extra minerals? or maybe its because i repot almost every year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millipede View Post
    would top watering everyday leech out the extra minerals? or maybe its because i repot almost every year...
    ^Not if you are continuously top watering with "bad" water. It just adds a fresh slew of minerals and dissolved solids in there. Plus, plants may not immediately show symptoms... it may take a while.

As for me, I am very content with my local Glacier water dispenser. Both my plants and I enjoy that water.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Actually, while we have always said that brita is not sufficient... I've taken a moment to look at this system and I think it may work for our application. It says it filters by activated charcoal (which we all know does no good for minerals) but it also has Ion Exchange Resin which I'm pretty sure is deionization..... This is generally the final step of a good RO system to get the TDS from 11ppm or whatever your system may finalize at, down to zero. Without having something do an initial drop of TDS, this filter will fail quickly- which is proven by the literature given with that product.... 40 gallons to a filter, of course that will vary depending on your TDS levels to start, the higher they are the faster the filter will fail. So you would definitely need to constantly test your water with a TDS tester so you know when it is time to replace that filter. That given- I don't know the cost of those filters and if this would make it unreasonable to use in our application. but on a "can I use it" scale... I give it a "I'm pretty sure you could" lol
    Andrew
    We tested the Brita filtering system back in 2007, just for kicks. The water directly from the tap in this area registered 575 ppm with the TDS meter; and with the filter in place, 500 ppm. There was some reduction, as you can see, but not remotely sufficient for the nasty touchy plants which manage to eat pestilential flies but will only accept bottled water . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast