Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WAter filter~ Brita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I meant the specific filter i posted as a link in my first post, not Brita overall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halt View Post
    I meant the specific filter i posted as a link in my first post, not Brita overall.
    I realize that -- but that product works on the same principle as its in-line version and is, for all intents and purposes, the same filtering system . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    bigBella- was it a faucet system? Those seem to be activated charcoal only (which wouldn't lower TDS only remove some chemicals/taste)... while the pitcher systems look to be charcoal and a form of Ion Exchange. I felt the ion exchange would be the part that would be lowering the TDS... It seems that NotANumber has already crashed that too though... provided his was one of the newer ones with the ion exchange stuff in it and it wasn't already depleted at the time of testing... I don't think they've always had that.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so basically weve come to the fact that brita helps a little, and while its better than straight-up tap water, RO and other such systems are miles ahead better? I can live with that lol.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DI bead life depends greatly on the level of ion exhange and their exposure to CO2. Likewise DI beads are not "self cleaning" like a properly designed RO system. This is why we use it after the water is first filtered through the RO membrane.

Organics are also determental to DI bead life.

DI beads will also go "bad" if unused but left exposed to the air, the mfgs also recommend a maximum 6 month shelf life.

Another issue you have with DI beads is a characteristic known as "channeling". Most of the economical DI systems suffer from this. A well design unit forces a laminar flow through the beads for maximum ion exhange.

The beads also "shrink" with use and channeling can get much worse and performance drops proportionally

There is some real good research on this

Basically, if there was a good alternative to RO/DI systems... people would already be using it

For the money and long term use, nothing beats RO/DI for our application

Av

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great points Av8tor1!

AHA! I knew I had seen one Here is a filter specifically for fish tanks.. that uses carbon and a DI cartridge just like what the brita mentioned here... I would say if you want something that is low cost now, but constant on filter cartridges.. maybe go with something like this over brita. At least it is more so made for this (not drinking).
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...84&pcatid=4484 I had looked at it, but decided I wanted something that would take less maintenance and more reliable long term... so I went with full out RO systems.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    bigBella- was it a faucet system? Those seem to be activated charcoal only (which wouldn't lower TDS only remove some chemicals/taste)... while the pitcher systems look to be charcoal and a form of Ion Exchange. I felt the ion exchange would be the part that would be lowering the TDS... It seems that NotANumber has already crashed that too though... provided his was one of the newer ones with the ion exchange stuff in it and it wasn't already depleted at the time of testing... I don't think they've always had that.
    Andrew
    We had access to both faucet and the standard pitcher systems and saw little difference in the results. With TDS approaching 600 ppm in the area, we were expecting little real improvement . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DI aspect is mostly all marketing hype. The filter is not nearly large enough to allow the water to remain in contact with the DI beads to make any significant difference. And if it were they would be depleted and useless after the first gallon.

DI works just fine when done properly but it is VERY expensive if it is done correctly. Those DI resins are $$$$ to replace. They only used where water is very expensive and the reject water from RO systems eats into the overall cost to produce a gallon of water OR they trying to produce water so pure it has absolutely nothing else in it.

If you are unable to collect rainwater the next best long term economical solution for most people is a basic RO system. What you need to do is present the facts to your folks and convince them that a small RO system would be cheaper in the long run than buying water from the RO dispenser and provide excellent water for your plants and their morning coffee..
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast