Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Beetles

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bag-a-bug is supposed to be kept far away from any plants that you don't want beetles crawling all over, and it worked very well for me in that respect. I could see it doing more harm than good if you have a small yard and the bag is right near all of your plants, but if you have a larger yard with some space, it definitely helps.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a duck. They LOVE Japanese beetles. I used to "harvest" beetles off bushes and give them to my ducks in a bucket of water. They were gone in about 30 seconds. :-)
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LW just caught one today, hope it doesnt chew through the pitcher :S

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlantAKiss View Post
    Get a duck. They LOVE Japanese beetles. I used to "harvest" beetles off bushes and give them to my ducks in a bucket of water. They were gone in about 30 seconds. :-)

Viaduct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the organic gardening books I have say that these traps may actually be worse than not doing anything because you are attracting more bugs than you would have naturally. A product that works on smaller areas, like normal size yards is milky spore. It selectively attacks just the japanese beetle grubs. You have to apply it a few times a year to your yard for I think for 2 years to properly innoculate your soil. There are specific times of the year it has to be applied to be most effective. Then it is good for a while. Neem will decrease their damage. But you have to apply every few days. I have some hazelnut and apple trees that are completely defoliated from these little beasties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I catch QUARTS of them every year. The last 2 years have been insane with them. I use the traps and on regular plants I use Bayer Rose and flower spray. They don't seem to bother my CPS at all.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading about JB's on freeplants.com. Milky spore attacks them in larvae stage, which is good because moles and such also love the grubs. You can also get beneficial predatory nematodes (everybody run, it's the predatory nematodes, AAAGH! :P) from naturescontrol.com which kill a host of insects as well.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chezilla View Post
    Some of the organic gardening books I have say that these traps may actually be worse than not doing anything because you are attracting more bugs than you would have naturally.
    I think thats a myth..

yes, you might actually be attracting them from farther away from your own yard..
    but think about it..
    if the *trap* is attracting them, then they are being attracted *by* the trap and *to* the trap!
    so the trap will CATCH them!

it doesnt make sense that a japanese beetle would think "hey..do you smell that? thats our sex phermone! lets go check it out!" (they all fly over to your yard from far away)
    "we got 10 feet away, but not lets go any further..lets just hang out here *near* the intoxicating smell, but not go over to it, and instead lets just munch on these plants"..

no..that obviously isnt going to happen..
    they will keep going stright to the trap, if its the trap that lured them in the first place..

if you just think about it, "using the traps is worse than not using them" is a theory that just breaks down under logic..

Scot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast