User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 18

Thread: Z-Pitcher 000 TDS Water Filter

  1. #9
    Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can find a r/o system for about $120
    only takes up a small space and is easy to install.
    Then you have all the clean water you need
    mine has paid for itself MANY times over and I just grow inside a 2 bedroom apartment
    SK-8 OR DIE

    growlist

  2. #10
    Californian in DC DrWurm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    1,169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    you can find a r/o system for about $120
    only takes up a small space and is easy to install.
    Then you have all the clean water you need
    mine has paid for itself MANY times over and I just grow inside a 2 bedroom apartment
    If you can show me one of those that 3 college roommates wouldn't mind and that has decent filter life/price ratio, I'd like to see it. That's not meant to be sarcastic in any way, I really would be grateful if you could post a few links or something. I tried searching for R/O systems a while back and got rather confused at all the options.

    Jason

  3. #11
    Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent a link to you and you only have to replace the 3 prefilters a couple of times a year.
    the pre filters are cheap.
    It's not as huge and complicated as it might look at first.
    here is a pic of mine.
    look at the first prefilter, It's started out pure white
    SK-8 OR DIE

    growlist

  4. #12
    herenorthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    almost Hartford
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell those college roommates that you're installing the RO because you can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. You're drawing the line at TDS = 1.
    Bruce in CT

    Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #13
    dashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the math and it looks like the cost of the pitcher plus the first filter and 2 replacements come to about $75 (with 7% tax) 39.99 (pitcher and filter) + 29.99 (2pk replacement filters) all for 67.5 gallons of water. That is about $1.11/gal. I can buy distilled at WALMART for .86 cents. Over time you would eventually get down to about $0.72/gal the more you use it. You just have to use the heck out of it to get past the markup of the plastic container and cool little electronic gadgets that comes with it... just like a hybrid car.


  6. #14
    Tony Paroubek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Far Away NY
    Posts
    4,640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take their claims on how much water can be filtered with a grain of salt. I would be amazed if you could filter the amount of water they claim to such a low tds with such a small mixed bed DI cartridge. I bet you would find yourself replacing the cartridge every few gallons...
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

  7. #15
    cp-connection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Western, NC
    Posts
    629
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its the flouridation

    Quote Originally Posted by herenorthere View Post
    Tell those college roommates that you're installing the RO because you can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. You're drawing the line at TDS = 1.

  8. #16
    dashman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,575
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa, you are throwing my equation all out of wack there. Now I get a divide by zero error.

    Probably right though. At best a little cheaper than buying by the gallon, but probably not. Especially for where I live (Indiana) where the water is very calcium rich due to limestone deposits pretty much anywhere you dig which would probably mean I would need to replace filters more frequently. Good for the bones, not for CPs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I would take their claims on how much water can be filtered with a grain of salt. I would be amazed if you could filter the amount of water they claim to such a low tds with such a small mixed bed DI cartridge. I bet you would find yourself replacing the cartridge every few gallons...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WAter filter~ Brita
    By Halt in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
  2. Water filter dilemna
    By johnnyfrye in forum Sundews (Drosera), Byblis, Drosophyllum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 06:24 AM
  3. Water filter
    By Vrad in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 04:48 PM
  4. Water filter
    By Sarracenia0 in forum Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 09:24 PM
  5. Pur water filter
    By Schoenburg in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2002, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •