Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good digital pocket cameras?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good digital pocket cameras?

I'm looking for a small 3"h x 4"L x 1"d digital camera and there are a ton of them out there in the $200 range that boast seemingly decent specs. I thought I'd see if any of you have any suggestions.

My main requirement is that I wanna be able to point and shoot a scene, item or lighting conditions in seconds and throw the camera back in my pocket. I don't wanna have to fuss around with any settings other than shutting off the evil flash bulb. Macro is nice feature of course but I don't use it or the accessory lenses on my Nikon 5700 very often. It's so bulky to haul it all around I don't, I don't wanna buy another camera I hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check out the canon powershot series. I have the CP SX110, a bit big for a pocket but it's a great camera. I've already had two people see me using my camera and the pics it takes and then buy the same camera for themselves! Alternatively, the A720 IS and the smaller A1000 and A2000 IS are supposedly very good cameras. I've tried the A720 and found it to be a good all-around camera (GREAT macro feature), while the later models are smaller but the macro isn't as great. See if you can get to a Best Buy or something that lets you try the cameras out before you buy them.
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked out this site? They seem to have some decent info. (what other camera review sites do folks use?)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Steve's Digicams Just about everything and anything you wanted to know.
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

My wife has the Olympus stylus 850
    Almost went with the comparable Panasonic but she wanted something that was a bit more weather proof and shock resistant even though the other had a little better review. The Canon's are good too. You can't really go wrong with most of them.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links guys. I looked at some shops today and I really like the Fujifilm Finepix J20. It has about 6 buttons overall and a big screen on the back but the whole camera overall is smaller than a pack of cigarettes which is what I wanted. I can take non-blurry shots holding the camera at arms length not braced on anything. My Nikon Coolpix 5700 is a total mess in such conditions, I can even get blurry shots with that on a tripod (go figure).

I actually prefer the look of the Finepix Z30 (the sliding armored front over the lens is cool!) but the Z30 was not operational at two different stores so that wasn't a good sign and the J20 worked easily at both places. I didn't buy yet just saw what I essentially am looking for. It's new for this year I guess but does anyone here have a Finepix J20?

Both the Finepix models have a movie mode, what is that? Can I use the digital camera like a camcorder? How do you transfer the video to the computer - what programs do you use to watch/edit a video? Not that taking videos was in my plans but that's a feature I wouldn't have even thought of...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you face low lighting, but I just bought my daughter a Nikon that can shoot at ISO 6400. That seems like just the thing for poorly lit rock shows. I don't know how intuitive it is, what its video capabilities are and haven't seen any photos yet because she's been away. I think it came to $230 and, if you're interested in checking it out, I'll get the model number for you. I generally favor Canon, but the low light capability was a major draw.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Coolpix has probably turned me off Nikon brand for good! lol!
    $1500 for a camera I hate but every review told me was among the best out there (at the time).

I got some really good indoor live concert shots with my Canon something or other but it's an old fashioned 35 mm film camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast