Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Approaching Storm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive never seen the actual bug itself either! roll on deoderant works well too. thats what i use for chiggers. and yea they do look alot like little ticks!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they basically are mini-ticks hahhaha
    i hate the little ********, i got into some here not even a few days ago walking through the woods here, i walked into a huge thing of spanish moss and that was the end of it hahahaha. i came home, and took a hot soapy bath and used my body wash (Axe Snake Peel) it works like a dream for not only those sorts of things, but mainly acne, my god....the only axe product i will stand by.
    Roll on deoderant works, as does nail polish remover, chloroseptic spray (spelling?), ice packs, i actually slap mine a few times and it works LOL, uhhh there is a ton of remedies to the itching.....generally the same as mosquito or flea remedies.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crystal I'm sorry that I took you into a feeding zone of these evil little bugs. I have never seen them this bad before. I hope you don't have them as bad as I do. I was hoping that since you used bug spray that you didn't have them as bad. I have them from my neck down to my feet and everywhere in between. I even got them between my fingers. I started to count how many I had on one arm and I stopped at twenty and I only got to just above my elbow. I keep finding new ones. But thats the price you pay for going in the swamp without protection. Again I'm sorry that you got em too.

These are not ticks. they are baby harvester mites. To give you an idea of the size of them take a look at this pic.

That's a whole lot of evil trapped inside a tiny body.

For the people that don't know what they are.

The main life cycle of these mites are eggs, larva, nymph, and adult.[7] The larval mites feed on the skin cells, but not blood, of animals, including humans. The six-legged parasitic larva feeds on a large variety of creatures including humans, rabbits, toads, box turtles, quail, and even some insects. After crawling onto their host, they inject digestive enzymes into the skin that break down skin cells. They do not actually "bite," but instead form a hole in the skin called a stylostome and chew up tiny parts of the inner skin, thus causing severe irritation and swelling. The severe itching is accompanied by red pimple-like bumps (papules) or hives and skin rash or lesions on a sun-exposed area. For humans, itching usually occurs after the larvae detach from the skin.[8]
    After feeding on their hosts, the larvae drop to the ground and become nymphs, then mature into adults which have 8 legs and are harmless to humans. In the post larval stage, they are not parasitic and feed on plant materials. The females lay 3–8 eggs in a litter, usually on a leaf or under the roots of a plant, and die by autumn.[8]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm from TX but have never heard the proper name for a "chigger". As a kid my cousin who lived in the country took me through tall brush and grass to go "hunting" reptiles and amphibians. When we got back my angry aunt told us to go strip and check for ticks. I thought I got off easy with only one, compared to his nine. The next two weeks were hell. I believe there were close to 300 of the mosquito bite on steroids type whelps. Chiggers like to crawl up and find a warm tight spot like under elastic bands or socks, belts... I came out with a perfect outline of the elastic of my underwear in bite form! Not trying to be crass but had bites on my genitalia as well. I hate chiggers with every inch of my soul and wonder if there is truly a divine creator, what was he smoking when he came up with chiggers?
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chiggers definitely do awful things to private places. A major reason I left the South was to not have to do think about venomous snakes when doing fieldwork but, thinking about it after reading these posts, leaving the chiggers behind was far better.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not as bad as I originally thought. I didn't start itching bad until later today. It appears that I only ended up with maybe 20 or so bites. My dad has even less. I think you ended up with so many because you lead most of the time. Don't be sorry, my dad and I had a great time regardless; I'd do it again without thinking twice about it. We knew all kinds of bugs were going to be a risk. I'm sorry that you ended up with the worst of it. If it wasn't for me you wouldn't have gone out there yesterday. I can't give too much advise for the itching, this is my first time (which I'm surprised; that certainly wasn't my first time in the woods) though I can suggest something cortizone based. We have some Cortizone 10 cream that I'll be using tonight before bed. I hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12