Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Approaching Storm

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Approaching Storm

Today I was in the Green Swamp with another member from here. I'll let thet person identify themselves if they wish.

By the time we got out I was covered with chiggers. When I got home I realized I had them from my neck down. I took a bleach bath and scraped off all I could with a knife. I had hundreds of them. I was still finding more hours after the bleach bath. I put a few on a white piece of paper and tried to get pics. They are the size of pinheads and I'm not very good with macro shots. I did the best I could.

An now I wait for the itching to start. They itch a little, but I know the worse is yet to come. It's like waiting for a really bad storm to arrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chiggers: one thing I do not miss about Florida. Along with mosquitos and large spiders.

Jason

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you got lucky and washed most of them off before they started to feed:

http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/
    The best precaution against chigger bites is simply taking a warm soapy bath with plenty of scrubbing as soon as possible after exposure. If you bathe at once, while the chiggers are still running over your body, you can wash them off before they bite. A bath will also remove any attached and feeding chiggers before you start to feel the itch.

Warm soapy water is all that is necessary to remove and kill chiggers. There is no need, and it is rather dangerous, to apply household products such as kerosene, turpentine, ammonia, alcohol, gasoline, salt or dry cleaning fluid. Don't do it.

Attached chiggers are removed by even the lightest rubbing. If you are away from civilization, you can remove attached chiggers before they do much damage by frequently rubbing down with a towel or a cloth.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen a photo of a chigger. They lkinda ook a lot like a tick...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to here that. Ciggers are the worst creatures, followed closely by fire ants. Hope you can get some sleep once the itching starts. I usually wake up every hour scrathing. You may want to spray your car seat to kill the ones that crawled off you on the way home or they'll jump back on over the next week or so.
    Hope you saw some nice plants.

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was mistaken when I said I didn't have too many. The itchy fun has started today. Lots of little tiny red itchy whelps all over. I hope it's not too bad for you Ozzy. You're not suffering alone.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good remedy my mother used to do is to put finger nail polish over the bump. Not sure if this works or not because it has been a long time since I have had chiggers.

I think it is supposed to encase them in so that they suffocate maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The South has high rates of violent crime and people tend to support capital punishment and invading other countries. Maybe it's from all the itching and if Southerners would just take a warm, soapy bath, they'd be more peaceful. Actually, that would work for everyone, chigger-bit or not.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast