What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video editting software

im messing with Windows Movie Maker 6 on my laptop since it came with it.....pretty easy program to figure out......i went from not having ever messed with video to a fairly decent 7 minute or so video in about 3 hours....most of the last hour was just tweaking stuff that i noticed whenever i replayed the clip....

is there anything significantly better thats either free or a minor cost($100 and under)? been reading reviews online but cant seem to get much out of them cause the editors rate it as one thing and the readers claim something else.....

GIMP is highly capable, but requires some coaxing for video editing. It's free, though. Adobe Premier is probably the best in terms of features and quality for price (you can find it for under $80 if you hunt around.) I'm spoiled, though, after about 10 years of having school-sponsored equipment at my disposal, so I favor Final Cut Pro since I've never had to shell out thousands of dollars on it.
~Joe

amen Final Cut is the answer.

I too however have the benefits of school supported adobe suite.

amen Final Cut is the answer.

I too however have the benefits of school supported adobe suite.

But school discounted Apple gear is a lot prettier. You should take advantage of the student discount before you leave your institution.
~Joe

I really enjoy Power director, use it for quite a few things, and make little videos with it all the time.

-Nathan

Cool info Rattler! Do all XP/Vista PCs have windows movie maker? Can you put text on it, edit, etc?

I just got my new digital camera and it also takes videos in two qualities/time lengths. Not sure what file type (haven't got that far into messing with it yet) but the manual said the movies could be played in windows media player.

edit: Just checked, I've got movie maker too! Groovy!

i think they started adding it to most all XP and Vista machines in 2006......i added an opening title page, threw a music track on it, mixed up a bunch of short video clips and pictures and added credits.....there are differnt transitions between clips and photos and i added credits aswell as being able to trim footage on individual clips(trim of extra at beginning or end) while it is placed on the story board.......all in all it worked pretty good for free software, was mainly interested if there was something significantly better for $100 or less......what i got will work fine for my immediate future.....just curious what else is out there.........

Josh- you can add pretty much whatever you want titles-wise with WMM, there's also some ways to add titles that are pretty funky/funny- there's one I like where the video gets boxed in top-right like a chroma-key and the text is presented like a scrolling headline- you can make some pretty decent stuff with it overall

Here's a little piece I slapped together in about 30 minutes (including costume changes, shooting and editing- a buddy made the music and the high-speed footage was shot the weekend before)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJebjBFT0Ps

I can do MUCH better

EDIT Rattler- I am not aware of any better programs than the above named ones, I'll ask my guru and return whatever results he might have

adobe premier has a lot of good tools to use. you can even do the green screen thing and insert a video into a video

That's nasty Mabudon LOL! :D

But all that was assembled just on WMM? Cool! Now I have some more stuff to keep me from my responsibilities! Can WMM use any of the true type fonts I've got on my machine?

I've read that Adobe Premier was one of the best editors out there but considering Adobes prices and not having a video camera (til now) I'd never looked into it before... green screen hmm!

mabudon, Good lord... anyways...

I'm always scouting properties, taking tours and such and pitching them to people for various reasons. I usually use power director to put together a movie from a DV cam and still photos from my camera together in a sequence. It's never anything really fancy, just a walk through that I do for those who cannot be there can watch from from home. I use text features to point out things, or mute out audio when I'm saying stupid stuff to realtor.

This is an exterior walk through of an abandoned hospital from 1900 that I'm currently bidding on, I joked with the investor partner that its a building straight out of Silent Hill. Well I shouldn't say joked, because it really is.

http://vimeo.com/5666400

The password for the video terra. While I don't use half of the other functions in the program it has many options on how to render your output and how to encode your video. That's kinda the important part, and the rest is cake and bonus material. While bored, I decided to actually try the bonus matrial for once on this video, and it was pretty easy / fun to do.

Again this wasn't anything serious, just an evening of messing around.

In this video, it shows the use of:

Still images
A crappy DV camera that nothing can render except this program
Shakey DV clips that the program 'stabilizes', some are stabilized some are not. (while trespassing on a property to take video, good shots are not always an option)
Transitions
Blending of audio (2 sound tracks are mixed on the fly)
Old tymey video effects

I've burnt this to DVD's and rendered them to files. The movie is made up of about 60 different clips / elements, and was rendered 3 times.

The software is around $60 and I use it about once a month and never have regretted buying it!

I might have to change the password in a few days as it's currently an active property and I have to keep google from finding it.

-Nate

Sorry bout that Mr.Flytrap :D

Dunno about what fonts you can use, I don't have too many on my PC but I know more fonts are available than what I used there to be sure

I don't know if you want more fonts but they're free if you look around online. My old font CD-Roms won't work at all in my XP-64 bit PC (it doesn't even recognize there's a disk in the tray) but I was able to get all my old faves (Like "Iron Maiden"!) by download.

there are THOUSANDS of free fonts online scattered here there and everywhere..........i think the wife has over a thousand different ones on her work computer for use in building ads for the papers.....

Back