What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cursor not following mouse HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a logitech optical mouse that is brand new, less than a month old. It was working fine until I rebooted my computer. After rebooting the cursor froze, but the mouse would still move. It's like the cursor decided it didn't want to play follow the leader.
I managed to open up the mouse settings from the control panel and check the box to show where the pointer is when Ctrl is clicked. Then hitting Ctrl every 2 seconds I tried google to little avail. Luckily I found out that I can see where the mouse actually is on the screen by enabling pointer trails and making them very short.

This is the mouse I have https://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/338&cl=us,en

My operating system is Windows xp Service Pack 2

I've uninstalled the mouse driver and reinstalled it, and rebooted and scanned my computer for malware, all to no avail. Can anyone help?

I'm pretty computer literate. I've rid my computer of fake antivirus software that disabled me from accessing files, folders, and from executing proccesses such as opening task manager, accesing microsoft word, you name it.

If it came with software, uninstall that software. Go into the hardware device manager and uninstall the mouse. (not just the driver, but the whole hardware profile) Shutdown the computer, then follow appropriate install procedure and see if that does it.

Andrew

Edit: while you are in the device manager... go ahead and delete any other mice that may be there... and check on any other items that have !s or otherwise show they may have issues.

...the cursor froze, but the mouse would still move. It's like the cursor decided it didn't want to play follow the leader.

I'm not certain what you mean by this. Are you saying that you can still physically move the mouse, or that something on screen besides for the cursor moves? Have you downloaded any third-party cursors, icon packs, or browser toolbars? Sounds a little suspicious to me.
~Joe

PS - I remember this great computer gag that I found about ten years ago. It was a little driver patch that added a dampened acceleration function to the cursor's movement. The effect was like having your cursor attached to invisible elastic string - a slow movement would leave it bobbling around in circles, and a big one would make it fly off the screen and then furiously snap back and forth for several seconds. There was another one that randomly relocated the cursor whenever you moused over an "OK" button... those were the days.

I restarted my computer and it seems to have fixed itself.
I'm not sure if it's fixed though, this might be temporary.

What I meant is that the graphics for the cursor decided not to play follow the leader. The graphics for the cursor were froze in one spot, while the true cursor could move around invisibly. Very interestingly, the graphics for the cursor would change as you moved the mouse, even though they wouldn't move as you moved the mouse.

If you installed a fake virus scanner there's no way to tell what other malware was installed. Use several malware/virus scanners as no one of the free scanners will do an adequate job.

If you have a system restore point before you installed the fake scanner you can try restoring you system to that, but it is best to make sure the system is clean first.

If you installed a fake virus scanner there's no way to tell what other malware was installed. Use several malware/virus scanners as no one of the free scanners will do an adequate job.

If you have a system restore point before you installed the fake scanner you can try restoring you system to that, but it is best to make sure the system is clean first.

The fake virus scanners are really nasty pieces of work. A lot of times they are very difficult to remove. The only free program I've ever found that is able to defeat them is MalwareBytes.

Jason

I didn't download any fake scanners, I said I've removed them, and that was just to illustrate my computer literacy.

Thanks for the help, but I'm already using malwarebytes.
I believe the problem is solved. If it happens again, I'll reopen this thread.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back