What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Couple Pics from the garden

I was finally able to enjoy an evening to myself tonight so thought I'd snap a couple pictures of the plants. Once again there was a small mantid snooping around waiting for a meal. He wasnt doing much waiting though as he was jumping around more like a cricket then a mantid! He seemed to stick around the leucos and leuco hybrids.

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

Also can anyone help me out on figuring out what these buggers are? They're on the rims of the peristomes of my Sarrs and they seem to love the nectar that's produced. They havent had any ill effects on my plants but I've still tried to get rid of them with some neem but they come right back. I just dont like unwanted visitors but that's one of the side effects of growing outdoors : / They're definitely not aphids or scale, and they dont look like spider mites to me though I've never had to deal with them *knock on wood*.
Any help is appreciated :)

IMG_2320.JPG_595.jpg

And a shot of the bumblebees and bees doing what they do best.
IMG_2324.JPG

Nice mantid, looks like a Stagmomantis sp., maybe Stagmomantis carolina.

The little bugs on the peristems might be a certain kind that hitchhike on pollinators. I read about them on CPUK, but can't remember the name....

Thanks Joel, you dont remember reading if they have any effects on the plants have you by any chance?
That mantis had a much different color pattern then the ones I've seen around here before. I just love the little things!

(For the mantid) Yes, individuals within species of that genus tend to have high color and color pattern variability. :)

Sorry for being brief in my previous response. Now, I am not 100% sure of those little bugs (mites) on the peristems, but if they've been there for a long time and your plants haven't shown any symptoms of stress or pests, then it kind of matches what is described in the link below. They are supposed to be harmless nectar feeders that ride on humminbirds, bees, etc.
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32642

Cheers! Oh and that's lovely purp in your avatar!

That's exactly what those are! Thanks for the link Joel :)
Oh and that's my purp montana as my avatar, thank you for the compliment!

Back