What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

District 9 looks cool!

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I just saw a preview for this and found the website of the film.
http://www.d-9.com

There's a preview and then a map screen opens with all sorts of other interactive video stuff after wards for humans and non humans. If all these clips are in this movie it looks like it will be pretty interesting. I haven't been inspired to check out a new movie in many years! :D

Yeah, it really does look cool!
I was very surprised that they showed the "alien" in the commercials. Usually the creature is saved as the "punch line," so to speak, for movies like this.

Yeah, this one looks awesome! Should be a very unique storyline, and the graphics are excellent. I've showed the trailer to a few people I know already, there's no way I'll be missing this one in theatres. Do you know if it's going to be in IMAX?

No idea about Imax.
It will be interesting to see if they can conjure feelings for the aliens side of the story. Is there a book out that the movie is taken from?

If I see this in the theaters it'll be the first time I've been to a theater in 9 years! lol!

LOL wow! I go to the movies once a week, almost without fail...

It looks awesome. I heard in NY they have benches that say "humans only bench" and stuff like that for publicity. Totally awesome stuff.

xvart.

Although, now thinking about, it could turn out to be some kind of lame civil rights lesson...

Based off of a short film actually:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_in_Joburg

Being a huge Sci-fi fan, I have some doubt about it. I feel the previews show too much. Ever feel like that all the action/good stuff that occurs in a film is in the previews and that's it? Only time will tell....

Being a huge Sci-fi fan, I have some doubt about it. I feel the previews show too much. Ever feel like that all the action/good stuff that occurs in a film is in the previews and that's it? Only time will tell....

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.

Awesome!!! That's an even better trailer than the official one! I guess that's the original short?

People afraid of "preachy sci-fi" will not like it I'm sure. I prefer the term"speculative fiction" for this type of thing (which often has the nasty habit of coming true). I'm thinking I will love it.

Yes, the movie does look cool and interesting. It may turn out to be an allegory about racism and other prejudices.

It looks awesome. I heard in NY they have benches that say "humans only bench" and stuff like that for publicity. Totally awesome stuff.

xvart.

I have seen bus stops around my town and down in the LA area that say something along the lines of "Human Only Bus Stop".

Yes, the movie does look cool and interesting. It may turn out to be an allegory about racism and other prejudices.

"May turn out" nothing; it's almost certainly that way. Just watch the short.
I heard that the Halo movie may have been canned - from the things I've been reading in the movie rags, it sounds like District 9 might be some sort of "test run" to see if this guy can really pull off a full-length film.
~Joe

hmm..
I saw the trailer on TV last night, and my first thought was.."wow..looks totally lame and stupid"
(and im generally a big fan of science fiction)
what are you guys seeing that looks cool?

Scot

I think the fact that it looks sooo different. Looks like normal people in an extraordinary situation is what makes District9 interesting for me. It presents a "plausible" WHAT-IF scenario when alien races make contact with human kind. Most of it also doesn't look like a movie...the shooting looks more like news camera footage and simple handycam shots.

It could be an interesting movie, although, from the previews it's looking to have somewhat of a hollywoodish plot. We'll see what happens.

Jason

I saw the trailer on TV last night, and my first thought was.."wow..looks totally lame and stupid" (and im generally a big fan of science fiction) what are you guys seeing that looks cool?
I guess for me, probably everything you think is lame and stupid about it is what I find cool and interesting... :-O

I like shoot 'em up space operas on occasion too (Warhammer novels for instance) but this touches on deeper, more socially relevant issues. As good fiction should, in my opinion. D-9 should be a good story and if the effects are good that's a plus too.

I saw those Halo clips on You Tube, that looks like it would be pretty cool as a straight up sci-fi movie. This should be a good ultra-violence humans VS aliens type movie which would be good for the effects but I wouldn't be holding out for an actual "story".

About the Halo movie, it continues to be revived only to die again shortly after. It's possible that instead of the Halo movie, the guy was the director of the liveaction clips that were made to promote the third game.

Anyone else getting a Half-Life 2 vibe off of it?

It looks pretty good from the commercial, like they're not going the usual "Oh no, mindless killing machine aliens are invading and we have to fight for our lives!" route.

It could be an interesting movie, although, from the previews it's looking to have somewhat of a hollywoodish plot. We'll see what happens.

Jason

Sorry Jason, but what else comes out of not so holy Hollywood?

Back