Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found 2 nestling robins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a little worried about feeding them solid food. When exactly can they handle it? What happens if they are switched to early? I gave them some solid pieces of worm and berry when I first found them. Does it just no give them enough nutrition compared to the amount they expend eating it or does it cause other problems? Also, is their anything I should do to help the "runt" that is noticeably smaller?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they just can't digest solid food / or might choke on them. I'm not exactly sure how the mother regulates this / if it does at all. But if it's not dead yet, don't worry about it. But goto the formula based food instead, and discontinue solid food. For the parrot formula / puppy show make sure it's blended in a blender.

You will continue this formula all the way until they have feathers. Once they have feathers, put them in a large net cage or bird cage. (20 gallon tank sizeish) Once they have feathers and are standing on perches continue with the formula but introduce the other berry dogfood mush in some of the earlier links. They will eventually start pecking at it on their own.

And just because they start to 'fly' doesn't mean they are ready to be on their own. Since they will be brought up unnaturally, you'll probably have to make one more cage upgrade to ensure they can fly properly. Refridgerator size would be my recomendation. Once they are doing well there, they can be released.

As for the runt feed it until it stops gaping just like the others. Make sure they don't begin to peck at him, if they do move him to his own nest. If he wont gape, tap on his beak a bit to see if that will get him to do it. If not, you'll have to open his mouth with your finger nail and feed him by force. Watch the crop as I said before to know when you're done.

Also one HUGE HUGE HUGE note, when using formula clean off any that gets onto their feathers immediately!! Same goes for any bird poop. If it stays on them, it will dry and clump their feathers together. Once it's dry it won't come off, the bird will not be able to fly and will die.
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of letting them fledge in my fenced in back yard like a normal robin and simple feeding it by tracking it down in the relatively small space. I never see cats inside my yard nor have I seen a raccoon or skunk in months. My only worry would be the crows that have paid no attention to the chicks when I keep them outside. (I think I am better off letting them make D-3 on their own) I think I won't have a problem with feeding. The oral syringe that I got has already been thought of as food when I re-hydrated them. (their skin looked red so I thought they needed water but now its pink and they are very alert.) I think my mom is kinda of sick of buying things for them even though I bought some of the stuff on my own. I can't find and exact recipe though, do you know one?

p.s. My mom said she thinks they are digesting the food very well and that I should just give them water after feedings. I can't say that she is wrong because they are making poops that are easy to pick out and move and are coated like they say nestlings poop should look like and are standing and watching us as we go about the day and look healthier then when we found them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best of luck!
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12