What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe I'll be getting a new Vroom Vroom...

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I was coming come from getting groceries and my car made a couple of whooshing noises like the windows were suddenly opened but both windows were closed. When I pulled off at the freeway exit the car started running really slow. It died at almost every light for 10 miles but I did make it home going 20 miles an hour with the pedal floored and the RPMs roaring.

I called Ford and they sent their tow guy out and he said it looked like my engine had been on fire at some point! I told him it smelled like burnt celery on the way home but there was no smoke at all or I'd have stopped completely.

Anyway, this was a pretty decent car but if fixing it is over $3000 I'm just going to get a new one as it's 9 years old anyway. It was the first year model of the Ford Focus and had a lotta recalls and fixes and I don't want any more first year model anything. So what kinda cars do you guys think are small, good and under about $15K?

Get a copy of consumer's reports annual book....

Lexus, toyota, honda, subaru and ford usually rate as the best bulit....but they all have good and bad

Do your homework, take a trip to the book store and do some "off the shelf" research, and as a general rule never buy the first year of a new model.

even if you want to buy new, look at the model's history

http://www.amazon.com/Consumer-Reports-Buying-Guide-Worst/dp/1933524162
Av

Hyundai is always the cheapest and recently they are up in build quality.

My wife and I bought a new 2009 Ford Focus in February..
so far, we like it a lot..
we got a good deal..got the SE trim level (one step down from top level) for 14k..
we bought the 5-speed (which was hard to find) and it drives really nice..
peppy for a 4-cylinder..

it came highly recommended in the Consumer Reports guide..
good reliability history..
we picked it over the Scion XD and the Pontiac Vibe..which were our runner-ups..

random internet photo, .nearly identical to our car:
http://dealerrevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=10584411

Scot

I saw something at the gas station that was a Ford but wasn't a new Focus but something else. It looked really neat and space-shippy but can't remember what it was, maybe the name was just a set of numbers?

I'm not in a mad-dash to get a new car this time as opposed to last time when I had to have one "by Monday". Now that my mom's retired she's agreed to borrowing me her car till I get the new one or get the old one fixed, depending upon cost. I'd drive a rental from Ford but my freebie fix-it rentals were gone with my warranty 4 or 5 years ago.

Flytrap that flaming orange mailtruck would be rather fitting since I run a mail inserting machine! :D

Lloyd the 1000 year old Xerox tech at work, who looks like Gandalf from LOTR, has a white 2006 Focus that he had custom painted to look like he drove through puddles of CYMK process ink colors!

I used to see Impreza WRXs for about $12k used back when I thought I had college savings. That's a fine automobile - if you see one for a reasonable price while you're looking, I would highly suggest looking into a test drive.
~Joe

havent heard much about their durability and stuff, but Ford Flex's are smooth, and have TONS of really handy features and space. And not too land barge-ish, minivan-ish, or station wagon-ish. Id get one. ;)

Hey Ferrari is coming out with a new design, the 458 Italia. Sounds like you have a good excuse to get one now. Go for it!

ferrarif430italia_lead.jpg

I won't be able to afford to claim my dad's body from the hospital or throw a funeral when he dies from the clot in his heart (probly any day now) so I doubt I can get the Ferrari! LOL!

I'm getting the Focus fixed since it's not as expensive as I thought it was gonna be. "Only" about $2000 that I don't have but I guess it's better than consigning myself to $15K I don't have.

Hey Ferrari is coming out with a new design, the 458 Italia. Sounds like you have a good excuse to get one now. Go for it!

ferrarif430italia_lead.jpg

nice!
all I need is a 40 year car loan, and im all set! :)

Scot

Back