Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Cephalotus Follicularis Hummer's Giant

Carnivorous Newbie!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you to everyone for all of your kind replies. I greatly appreciate it!

I hope to be able to provide the proper conditions to continue growing these pitcher's to their current size. The largest one is 2". Is there a specific wattage you use with your T5s, or lumen or foot candle measurements? I have it under four T8s and two T12s, sitting approx. 3 ft under them. Also, would it be a good idea to build a terrarium for it, or is it better to just control the room environment?

Some other questions I have are the about the pitcher's themselves. I researched a plethora of websites before it arrived, and found so many different methods of care, I just want to be sure I do this right. So, I 've been watering it every other day with rain and reverse osmosis water, and I do so around the outside of the pot to prevent rot. It seemed to be a general consensus from my research that they should not sit in standing water. So it is safe to put it in an inch of water and let it dry out one day before refilling? I also needed to know if they like getting spritzed with a water bottle. The only reason I ask is because I often spritz around it because of my vanda orchids. And is its current temp drop from 82 day/72 night okay?

Also, Should I also be putting water in the pitcher's? And when it comes feeding time, what fish food can I use and how often, which pitcher(s)? The gentleman I purchased it from said that he'd been using chiclid food every couple of weeks. Should I continue that process?

In regard to repotting, how long should I wait to repot?

Sorry for all the questions! I greatly appreciate everyone's help and input. I'm such a newbie!! When I saw this plant, I was so taken back that I just couldn't pass it up. Now I want to do everything I can to help it thrive, and can't decipher which information should be applied from my research. So thank you so much for the help!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hey I had a question I looked at the pictures you have there and I was wondering is the white stuff around those are they roots or is that moss?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosoff View Post
    Hey I had a question I looked at the pictures you have there and I was wondering is the white stuff around those are they roots or is that moss?!
    That's Sphagnum, a common media for use on CPs. It is a type of moss.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I feel that!! Oh Sphagnum it just looks a little different then what I have seen!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello folks I'm new to this forum , and yes i too have luck with cephalotus i keep mine with my orchids in a south window and also about 12 hours of artificial light my tamps are a little cooler at night and i've read cephy can take much cooler temps at night. I've just brought mine in from full sun all summer meaning sun up to sun down zone 7 and our night temps are now at 40 to 50 it seems to be very happy it has produced
    4 new adult pitchers this summer and is now starting its 5th they are all in great shape and show no signs of browning or fading anyone know how long the adult pitchers last and can they be started from hardened off leaf pullings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Wow, that's a great looking Ceph! Although, Cephalotus isn't exactly a beginners plant.
    EVERYBODY who grows their first plant, Ceph. or not, is a beginner. Grow 6,000 Nepenthes or Sarrecenia and you're still a Cephalotus beginner. All that anyone lacking experience can do is read up and try. I hate how people always discourage growing more difficult plants. If we followed this advice, we would never progress. So someone might lose a plant or some money... big deal. Someone might have better success than others did! I hate advice for newbies. He's not thinking about getting it, he has it.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12