Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a PC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it. I built mt desktop system 6 years ago, and it is still going strong. In fact it is the most stable unit I've owned. I knew a few basics going into it, and it was'nt nearly as complex as I thought it would be to build one. I learned a lot in the process.

I just made sure all the parts were compatible and followed a few online guides. I will definitely build my next unit also. And yes, you save a lot of $ doing it yourself.

Oh yeah, pick a good case. I like Antec myself. The Sonata is so quiet I don't notice it's on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with Intel rather than AMD.

If you don't mind getting a little nerdy, you can pick up the barebones quadcore intel processor, the q6600, for pretty cheap. That little guy overclocks very well. Get a decent CPU fan and it'll outperform many of its big brothers.

Jason

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks for the tips everyone. Lots of great advice. As far as the case I think I am going to go with Antec. The case comes with 3 huge fans. One in front, one in back and one on the side. And just to clarify... I am not a guy who likes to play crazy games like Crisis. I am more of a strategy guy... so like Rome: Total War, Empire: Total War, Starcraft II, Diablo III, Flight Simulator X.

So many options though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I did was just buy the biggest (and hopefully "best") of all the components that the vendor had available at the time. My thinking was I'm already gonna spend a crazy amount so if I maxed it out far beyond what any software is calling for nowadays I should be able to keep ahead of the game for at least several years. Even though I rarely buy new software it's maddening to get some that doesn't work on your "new" computer. Often you get a best buy PC and it's already out of date and needs some hardware upgrades.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antec is a good choice. For me it was between Antec and CoolerMaster. ThermalTake is another brand of choice.

If you're going to lug your system to game-ins consider spending the extra for an aluminum case.

I don't know if you want all the fancy lights and a see-through case but all the above brands have them.

You can check out platinummicro.com - a friend of mine has bought 3 systems from them - all custom built. I can't remember the owner's name but the good thing about him is he won't upsell you to more expensive equipment unless it's within your budget and a significant performance difference. He may even recommend slightly less expensive component that might show lower benchmarks but without noticeable performance differences.

I went with another vendor because the motherboard I want was out of stock at Platinum and I wasn't too keen on the chipset on the substitute that Platinum recommended.

My system is mainly for business so I can't give you much recommendation as to CPUs and graphics cards. When I built my system the Intel Quad cores were just coming out. At that time it was my understanding that AMD had lost the edge for gaming systems since the Intel Duo cores had come out. Whether this is still true or not I couldn't tell you as I haven't been keeping up on that stuff.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Antec is a good choice. For me it was between Antec and CoolerMaster.
    Yeah, coolermaster is pretty... uh.. cool. I want to get the cosmos 1000. It's very awesome, but very expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe my case is a Coolermaster "Centurion" or something like that. My power supply is CM and I think the fans are also CM.

One thing you should buy (if you don't have one already) is an air compressor so you can blow out the case every month or two. The fans and mesh screens, on the front, back and sides of mine get just caked with all the air going through it. Forget those cans of compressed air they sell, I can blow air harder than those with my lungs! I got a great little compressor with a 2 gallon reserve tank for $50 at Menards Hardware store.

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the new Phenom II processors have returned AMD to to at least part of their glory, but still can't compete with the new Intel Core i7 processors (I7 processorrs are awesome).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12