What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fave weird movies?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Mystery Science Theatre 3000!
Not just bad B movies but bonus sarcastic commentary!
Thats one of my favorite shows of all time! It introduced me to some of the weirdest things that human beings have produced in this century, including the hero pictured in my Avatar. I'm not really into movies, but I've probably incidentally watched more weird movies than most people here.
I think Hobgoblins is my favorite B-movie of all time.

Let's see if I can add some oddballs to the list

Night of the Lepus
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Full Monty
Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Quit Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb)
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension
Big Trouble in Little China
Ice Pirates
Pan's Labyrinth
Clue
The Thing (The original one, the one by Carpenter sucked!!)
Day of the Triffids
The Day the Earth Stood Still (The original, Keanu Reeves is a TOOL!!)
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

And I know there are so many more I am forgetting...

Prince of Space! Yes I like it very much... Dubbed and slaughtered. With villians whose weapons do not work on the hero (for some reason...?) and yet they never learn...and also never learn that body spandex isn't the ideal uniform...ugghhhhh

What about Edward Scissorhands?
edward-scissorhands-01-800-75.jpg

Night of the Lepus

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

havent thought of Night of the Lepus in years......love Lock Stock and Two Smoking barrels!

Rory Breaker: What did you shoot him with, an air rifle?
Winston: Look, we grow weed. We're not mercenaries.
Rory Breaker: You don't say.

"Hatchet" Harry: You must be Eddie, J.D.'s son.
Eddie: Yeah. You must be Harry. Sorry, didn't know your father.
"Hatchet" Harry: Never mind son, you just might meet him if you carry on like that.

Soap: Rory Breaker? That psychotic black dwarf with an Afro?
Tom: That would be the same man, yes.

Big Chris: All right, son: roll them guns up, count the money, and put your seat belt on.

Soap: A minute ago this was the safest job in the world. Now it's turning into a bad day in Bosnia.

Eddie: They're armed.
Soap: What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?
Eddie: Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit!

there are a whole lot better ones but they arent suitable for this forum :grin:

I'm more of a zombie flic type person, they're not really weird movies, but i like em:
28 days/weeks/months trillogy (anxious for the third to come out!!)
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil series

Pan's labyrinth
Italian Job (love that car..)
Gone in 60 secs. (it weird cause nicholas cage actually acted well most through the movie)
Fast & the Furious 1 (the others sucked)

Full Metal Jacket
Hackers

and i finish it off with
Boiler Room

More!

WOW!
Nice list you've all got going there! I have seen half or more of them, and it is nice to see
that others have also appreciated their unique qualities! :crazy:

It's hard to think of something not already listed.... I apologize if someone already mentioned these:
I might add Time Bandits, Something Wicked this way Comes, and one more mainstream: American Beauty.
For a bit more Camp/bizarre, I would add Time Bandits, Mars Attacks & Brazil.
(Perhaps easier to follow than Naked Lunch was!...well, Brazil is a bit wacked too tho!) :-P-:
For barely stupid fun, Killer Clowns from Outerspace. :eek:

My All-Time Favorite has to be Forbidden Planet! :clap:
A great movie of Matrix quality, but only for its underlying phylisophical concept. :devil::angel:
It is a movie (unlike most) that would actually benefit by being remade!
[As the Matrix (original movie) is based on the premise that the world around us is not simply the "concrete reality" we perceive that it is. (an idea which some philosophies and "off-mainstream religious beliefs" have followed since eons ago) ]

Forbidden Planet isn't "great" by any means, but I like movies that are a bit "Perceptive", :scratch:
as the first Matrix and the first Star Wars movies were.
I would have to say those types of movies are the ones I like best for more than just pure entertainment (ie: Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter/Stardust),
which are GREAT entertainment,:boogie:
but I also love when a movie presents some philosophy that touches revealingly on life itself. :p

Well, I do hope others have more input, as I am jotting down some other movies I've NOT seen before, and might just want to see! :-P-:

Nice thread! Better than I thought it would be! (I passed over looking at it for a while, for lack of time and such.)
Take care all! :wave:
Paul
Growin' Old!

the_warriors.jpg

From the "So bad its brilliant" file..
The Warriors..
CAN...YOU...DIG...IT...

Number 1 movie I thought I would love, but hated:
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy..
totally sucked..biggest movie disappointment of probably my entire life..

Number 1 movie I thought I would hate, but loved.
Tank Girl..
I was expecting to hate the movie, because I loved Tank Girl in her original form..
I was a huge fan, had every issue..and thought the movie would be bad..
but it was ok..

If you are a Tank Girl fan, you have to check out Gorillaz:
http://www.gorillaz.com
I like them mostly just for the Jamie Hewlett animation, but the music isnt bad either!
the videos are very fun..

Scot

Yes, David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch was rather unfortunately an amalgamation of most of William Burroughs' writing and didnt really follow the book Naked Lunch much at all. Most of that stuff never happened in any Burroughs book. I still like it, a lot, but maybe it should not have been given the name Naked Lunch. I wish someone would do all Burroughs' books as film verbatim. The studio who did would probably be locked down and "silenced" with flamethrowers by the religious right after the first few though... :D

I thought Tank Girl would be lame too but i was surprised as well. C'mon Ice Tea as a six foot rat man? How good could that be!? lol!

The Thing (The original one, the one by Carpenter sucked!!)

Dude, not even. The Carpenter one was awesome.

My All-Time Favorite has to be Forbidden Planet! :clap:

Yeah, I thought that was an awesome movie despite the fact that it lacks all the flash of most movies these days. It reminded me of the novel Sphere by Michael Crichton.

Jason

well, Brazil is a bit wacked too tho!) :-P-:

Ah yes Brazil was great. And you remind me of 2 other great oddball movies:

City of Lost Children
Delicatessen

For barely stupid fun, Killer Clowns from Outerspace. :eek:

:woot::woot: Barely stupid fun describes it perfectly :woot::woot:

Number 1 movie I thought I would love, but hated:
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy..
totally sucked..biggest movie disappointment of probably my entire life..

Could not agree with you more, the new one totally sucked. If you can get your hands on the BBC one it is not half bad, pretty much follows the books (up to "So Long..." which had not been published when it was made so...)

Dude, not even. The Carpenter one was awesome.

:censor::censor::censor:

Because I am feeling generous I will let you live... :-)) :poke: :-D

and how could we forget a true american classic
Joe's Apartment

and the super cheesey movie that has something to offend just about everyone
"Team America World Police"

I'm surprised the other two in the trilogy weren't mentioned alongside Brazil: Timebandits & Baron Munchausen

Delicatessen as mentioned and anything else by Jean-Pierre Jeunet is definitely weird... even Amelie & especially City of Lost Children

Edward Scissorhands was mentioned, but obviously anything by Tim Burton is definitely weird too! Kinda old now, but I still love Beetlejuice! And Nightmare before Christmas is a classic, too much singing but still way cool.

Fantastic Planet is an artsy & weird movie, Yellow Submarine is kinda weird too I would say. On the subject of artsy & weird animation, works by Yuri Norstein are must-see. Tale of Tales is certainly "huh?"

For TV series The Prisoner is pretty weird too. Especially that big white blob!!

I believe someone already mentioned "Zardoz" which is pretty trippy and will bring back some Hippy Commune memories. Along the same dystopian lines, you may also want to watch "Logan's Run" and "Soylent Green".

For horror, you may want to watch the classic "Rosemary's Baby" or for creepy revenge, "The Abominable Dr. Phibes".

Quirky comedy: Annie Hall, Sleeper or Bananas.

Visual fests: The Fall, The Cell

I'd forgotten about Apocalypse Now, it's such a marathon of a movie! 2 VHS tapes! :D

If you liked Spinal Tap check out Mighty Wind, it's the Tap guys doing a 60's folk music mockumentary as The Folksmen. I just got my copy on DVD today (don't have to watch the partly taped over copy I have on VHS with commercial interruptions) been digging the geeky tunes and all the extra scenes. I was raised by hippies so I have a soft spot for this music, other people my age seem to find it intolerable! lol!

And if you liked "Mighty Wind" and "Spinal Tap" then you should check out Fear of a Black Hat which is to hip hop what the former two are to folk music and metal.

Slaughter House Five
Shock Waves
Johnny Guitar
Fantastic Planet
Time Bandits
Rock & Rule
Where Have All the People Gone?
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

..........just to name a few from the top of me head.

Fear of a Black Hat is a pretty hilarious movie alright, especially the Vanilla Ice parody guy

I haven't seen it since it came out, but Toys, directed by Barry Levinson and starring Robin Williams, is one I'd add to the list. My wife and I loved it and were baffled by the generally bad reviews it got. It was awfully weird for a movie with so much Hollywood horsepower behind it.

Going even further back in my memory, I remember a 1960s English movie called Work is a Four Letter Word (I saw it on TV maybe 30 years ago) which is about a guy growing psychedelic mushrooms in an uptight, corporate world. Methinks everyone involved imbibed too heavily during production & editing and it certainly qualifies as weird. In a good way.

Since other Terry Gilliam movies have already been mentioned, what about Fisher King, also starring Robin Williams? That's another terrific one.

edit: I just thought of another - Like Water for Chocolate - a Mexican movie with English subtitles and plenty of magical realism.

Jabberwocky
The Ruling Class
A Clockwork Orange
Fellini's Satyricon
Richard III
Titus
The Seven Percent Solution
Rosemary's Baby
Freaks
Abominable Dr. Phibes
Dr. Phibes Rises Again,
Brazil