What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tilt Shift miniature faking videos

• Thread starter nightsky
  • Start date
Are those real people, and places? Taken from far away?

Seems they are real people but shot with some funny lenses that makes it appear like you're looking at a miniature train set town or something but with moving people.

It would be sweet if they could green screen a huge guy looking down on it and painting a 1/72 scale figure like he's working on his indoor trainset and the people come to life when he sets 'em down. :D

But I suppose that would be the same as that Haunted Museum movie or whatever with the tiny FDR cavalry and Indian miniatures that come to life.

thats pretty cool!

swords figured it out..
those are all real videos of real scenes..no models..
they simply alter the depth of field so the foreground and background is blurry, which makes them look like models or dioramas (we often see models with that kind of depth of field, because they are small and close to the camera..)
then, in addition to the altered depth of field, they also do the choppy speeded-up motion, which looks like stop-action animation, which also adds to the illusion..

the result is very convincing! and very well done..they really look like little models!
but its all totally real full-size scenes and all real people..

Scot

All you have to do is read the page the video is posted on:

This was shot by me from 2 vantage points in Sydney's ANZ Stadium. New for me is the extended reach using tilted lenses, as well as a faster shutter rate to capture action without having to shoot video. I'm shooting timelapse so have taken some liberties in recombining the footage to tell my version of the story.

For more information on this technique:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_miniature_faking

If you want to know the theory behind lens tilt-shift and practical applications see this tutorial:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

Back