Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single cultivar name for multiple plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single cultivar name for multiple plants

After browsing through a certain nursery site, I ran across multiple plants one of which was S. x 'Judith Adrian' (AS x Judith hindle). The nursery then claimed to apply the name to ALL of the siblings of this cross. This came to be not just for this plant but for other hybrids advertised for sale.
    How can such a name be published let alone registered when the siblings will all undoubtedly be very different from one another? This has both confused and angered me do to the fact that if this method were adopted, a set limit of the number of possible cultivars would be set.
    IE: All Moorei crosses such Leah Wilkerson, Adrian Slack would simply be called Moorei rather then have individually different names. Though the parentage is the same, both plants look drastically different so I believe that adopting such a method would be improper and misleading.
    This would make it difficult for people to both refer to the same plant when no two are alike.

Does anyone else feel this way or am I the only one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good point. I thought it was S. x Judith Adrian, actually. Dunno why it's like that.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, 'Gin Goblin' applies to what FrenchZ has said and 'Abnorma'. These are *unregistered* cultivars, so cannot really be called cultivars...meaning all you can call them are what the parentage of the actual plant really is. If it isn't a cultivar, don't try to make it seem like it is!

Edit: Also, i know of another nursery that decided to name random plants/hybrids that they thought looked interesting different names, that make them look like cultivars. I really hate it when stuff like this happens, if the people really think their plant is oh-so-special, why not at least try to make it official?! Apparently, it's OK to sell plants like 'Mountain Splendor', 'White Sparkler' or 'Medusa'.
    Last edited by petmantis; 08-13-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Added more info on subject
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, so sort of like S. x 'Godzuki'? Still, it seems a bit misleading, though.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Pet and Cap, you are correct. Though these have NOT been registered and hopefully will not since it refers to more then 1 plant, I feel like it is VERY misleading and much to broad of a classification. Rather then name all the seedlings, why not just refer to them as the cross that they are?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm saying French, I also find it very misleading, it's so obvious all the plants will differ when grown up that they're almost impossible to distinguish as an actual cultivar.

The only reason they could be doing this is to get people to buy the plants, and hope that when their plant matures it will look really nice. Marketing is what it's all about
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are called grexes, certain crosses of the same two parents that are given names.

Those are all grex, BTW. They are misleading, though.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they should all be labeled with quotes instead of single apostrophes. It's pretty low of them to knowingly do that.

I.E, S. "Judith Adrian," instead of S. 'Judith Adrian.'
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast