What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

District 9 was awesome! 5 swords!

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I saw District 9 today at a matinee and it was very cool! A combination of news/documentary footage that eventually devolves into a story of MNU agents trying to relocate a reservation of aliens which the government won't let leave earth. I prefer the documentary footage stuff but I suppose they couldn't get into all the effects/story with the handheld and breaking news type footage. The plot did not go exactly the way I expected after seeing the original short Alive in Joburg on You Tube so I was both surprised and impressed. Certain persons won't like it of course because it's rather obvious the MNU weapons makers, government & corporations are the real evil dirt bags in this movie (kinda like art imitating life). Anyone who has compassion for immigrants will likely feel something watching the movie.

Other than the more than realistic premise (in my eyes) there is also tons of action like people and aliens being vaporized with weaponry. Some awesome cybernetic technology as I envision futuristic technology to be moving (albeit more slowly in real life than in the movies). The only part I thought should have been done differently was when the main human character gets sprayed with a canister that has two functions. I won't say more than that but I thought that bit needed a rewrite. It would have only taken a minute to fix in the movie but I'm always thinking how I would do something differently whenever I read a book or watch a movie or listen to a CD. Anyway, I give it 5 of 5 swords!

I will be seeing it again and definitely buying the DVD when it's out.

Did you see it and what did you think? I wanted to see it last night at 12:01am but I got wrapped up in something and then checked the theater listing site too late without enough time to get 3 towns over.

My daughter and I were in LA a week ago and there were signs for it everywhere - on sides of buildings, bustop benches, billboards, you name it. I had never heard of it before we arrived and, by the time we rode the bus from the train station to Santa Monica, we must have seen 100 ads for it. Maybe we passed 1000 before we left a week later. I guess the company behind the movie was making sure all the movers & shakers knew about it. The amount of marketing was completely over the top, but it was LA, after all. Movies aren't my thing, but my daughter will see it.

It's the first movie I've seen in the theater in at least a decade, so I'm not much of a movie goer either. Though I will buy a DVD of newer movies if the mood strikes me that I want to see something, which is less and less often it seems.

I would have liked to take one of the plastic report non-humans signs on the door but they were not hanging on the exits where no theater staff were. I suppose that's why... Though I'd really like to have a no humans allowed sign! :D

I will see this movie someday, and when I do and if for any reason I am not satisfied it will all be the fault of swords for getting me so enticed to the film by reading his review JK!

Check those links (they're official sites) then decide. It's up to you if you like sci-fi with realism in it. This is likely what would happen if the aliens who came were not here to enslave us, we would enslave them. The film uses the derogatory term "Prawn" but it's use is reminiscent of another more common derogatory term.

I wouldn't vote on enslaving them, hey they can teach us the secrets of the stars :)

District Nine was the most original and interesting thing I've seen in years; and it's so nice to see a science fiction film come out of left field, not based upon a comic book, some child's idiotic toy, a video or board game.

I especially liked the mad-dog Nigerian gangs in District Nine with their expanding definition of "bush" meat.

Check it out . . .

"Muti medicine" is a real thing. I think the latest cases have all been from the UK, where they seem to be eating/using various parts of children for magical/medicinal reasons.

Yeah, I was totally floored by all the background research that they seemed to have done. It was way better than a generic sci-fi shoot 'em up with nothing else to go on. That's why we need more cool films like this from independents who aren't too artsy fartsy that they make a movie nobody can comprehend or so unoriginal they dribble out the same old Hollywood story rehashed for the millionth time. I guess the Neil Bloomenkamp (director) grew up in South Africa and maybe witnessed some of this sort of thing going on in the Apartheid areas."Scraping and surviving - good times!" The realism of all the different aspects of the premise is what really got me into it. The alien "dog fighting" and gambling scene was interesting, as well the guy being accused of inter-species sexual relations in the tabloids - that added a good moment of funny! :D

I have noticed there is a number of clips in the previews that aren't in the real movie (like the interrogation scene) so I'm anxious for the DVD to come out with all the extra footage, about 12 weeks after leaving the theaters I suppose...

you guys just convinced me to give them $11 more or whatever it costs. ;)

matinees are cheaper and usually nobody there - two plusses! Last matinee I went to was $2.50 now it was $6.25!

"Muti medicine" is a real thing. I think the latest cases have all been from the UK, where they seem to be eating/using various parts of children for magical/medicinal reasons.

Muti medicine is still quite a problem in South Africa as well -- where the filmmaker lives. I had a girlfriend in college from Bloemfontein and there were plenty of horror stories. Here's a lovely bedtime account from 2003:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article1165929.ece

bigbella, than I guess you shouldn't watch the where's waldo movie they're making or the live action lego film ;)

The government of the Republic of Congo wants to sell off the rain forests to the timber industry but the pygmies live there and of course are resisting forced urbanization. So anyway, a few years ago the government there had told the people to kill and eat the pygmies to gain their powers!

No its based on the building block brand, the little men and blocks :)

Just got back from it. I really enjoyed it. I noticed that a lot of people weren't too excited about the 1st half, but I think it really made the movie much more believable. Most importantly, District 9 is fresh! It's something I have not seen much of before. It felt like a mixture of Blade Runner and Half Life 2 at times.

I am definitely anxious for District 10 to come out.

Jason

The first half was my fave! All the clipped news footage and stuff, I kinda hoped the whole thing would have been like that but they wouldn't have been able to get into a story I suppose, it would just all be back story! lol!

I'd like to see the team who did this do a Warhammer 40000 book or Video game (Dawn of War) made into a film. Showing the giant Titan war machines, Chaos space marines in Terminator Armor, Dreadnoughts with glass sarcophagi containing their nearly dead pilots enshrined in amniotic fluids, bio mechanical tech priests & servitors, chaos cultists, summoned warp daemons, the Corpse-Emperor of all Mankind enshrined in his golden "life-support" throne... Maybe they could do the Horus Heresy as a Trilogy... I can dream cant I?! :D

just catching up this is a very cool movie great bugs , bayer advance needs something to stop these guys.

Hated it, worst alien movie to have come along in a while. The story was ridiculous, and the aliens were even more so. Seriously, ******* aliens that look like prawns? No way would any alien be dumber than humans. Aliens developed a technology for space travel! If humans hated the aliens so much, why were they preventing the alien from getting to the mothership and leaving?

I have the DVD now and really enjoy it - especially all the extra stuff.

Back