Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: No public health care = no change

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's important to remember that nobody's going to force you into a public option, so whining about how long it would take to get help is a moot point. The public option is meant to turn the screws on the insurance companies. If you can't afford private healthcare, a public option is better than nothing at all. If you can afford private healthcare, the public option, along with other aspects of Obama's bill is going to help drive your costs down.

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWurm View Post
    I think it's important to remember that nobody's going to force you into a public option, so whining about how long it would take to get help is a moot point. The public option is meant to turn the screws on the insurance companies. If you can't afford private healthcare, a public option is better than nothing at all. If you can afford private healthcare, the public option, along with other aspects of Obama's bill is going to help drive your costs down.

Jason
    It is additionally important to realize that the private sector cannot ultimately compete with a government program that is funded by the tax base and can exist without the profit motive of the open market; otherwise, we would have an efficient and cheaper postal service, but there are laws on the books that do not allow the public sector to openly compete with the USPS, that is to say, the government. Fedex and UPS and some others have eked out some limited access but cannot send letters for forty-four cents -- not without government subsidies.

The other real concern is that some companies will simply drop their private medical coverage for their employees, in the face of a cheaper government option; in which case, the notion of any real choice for many becomes a moot point.

Lastly, how is this going to ever be realistically funded, in an economy that is tanking?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ".........$800 for an xray? can i have some of what your smoking? "
    I quit smoking after that ....but i can give you their number and you can ask them for some....they sure are smoking something. Maybe i'm exagerating a bit....let me explain how it went down ...you must be living in the nice part of USA since you don't know about these things...
    So i got a back injury (sports related) and it was so bad i could not breathe right and the pain was just too much. I had a emergency med insurance which usually covered half the costs. Some friend of mine took me to ER since i was having trouble breathing. After 2 hours and 50 min finally was my turn. I did understand that the kid sitting next to me had a severed finger so he was next...they took him faster...he waited only 1 hour and about 45 min!!!! Anyway, back to me, i went in...they checked me and then took me to the x-ray. Some of my vertebras have moved a bit out of place...nothing serious. They give me some pain killers and some anti inflammatory medication and that was it....20 min for almost 2000$. I had to pay a part of it ...the 800$. This happened about 4 years ago at Anaheim Memorial and unfortunately i did not keep the bill.
    So...rattler...since you know a lot about healthcare maybe you can help explain what happened that day.
    Lotto is a wise investment, BB....i'm doing it too!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason
    depends on what version gets passed.....at one point there was language in the bill stating that private insurance companies could not take on new clients.......in effect that would get rid of private insurance before long......at this point i wouldnt trust my federal government with my health care......we need serious reform in DC long before we start talking about doing this.....giving the current group this responsibility(and i mean BOTH sides of the isle in both the house and senate) for the health care of anyone is bordering on suicidal.........

as i said i aint necessarily against major reform to our health care system but ill be damned if ill willingly turn over the reigns to this group or any DC group from the last 50 years atleast......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    The other real concern is that some companies will simply drop their private medical coverage for their employees, in the face of a cheaper government option; in which case, the notion of any real choice for many becomes a moot point.

Lastly, how is this going to ever be realistically funded, in an economy that is tanking?
    The bill realizes your first concern and will enact laws to make what you mentioned illegal. If you like your current private insurance, you can't be forced to drop it.

As for funding, over 2/3 of the bill can be funded without out-of-pocket expense on our part. I forget the ins and outs of that, but I know it's at least 2/3. The rest, yes, will be coming out of our pocket. However, it's over a long period of time, and is about the same as what we've been spending in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bill realizes your first concern and will enact laws to make what you mentioned illegal. If you like your current private insurance, you can't be forced to drop it.

As for funding, over 2/3 of the bill can be funded without out-of-pocket expense on our part. I forget the ins and outs of that, but I know it's at least 2/3. The rest, yes, will be coming out of our pocket. However, it's over a long period of time, and is about the same as what we've been spending in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jason
    dude.....DC has been pushing us into the red farther and farther every year......there is no way it is not going to ALL come out of our pocket at some point.......even with all the current taxes they take in they cant run a balanced budget....you want to add the debt load of adding a state sponsered medical insurance? if DC was a private company they would have been bankrupt and out of business YEARS ago.......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    depends on what version gets passed.....at one point there was language in the bill stating that private insurance companies could not take on new clients.......in effect that would get rid of private insurance before long......
    Anything you heard like that was false. Even the most liberal plans considered did not nix private healthcare. The ultimate goals of this bill are to A. make sure everyone has healthcare, and B. introduce competition back into the insurance companies. Obama would not sign a bill to cripple the private industry.

Jason

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    there is no way it is not going to ALL come out of our pocket at some point.......even with all the current taxes they take in they cant run a balanced budget....you want to add the debt load of adding a state sponsered medical insurance? if DC was a private company they would have been bankrupt and out of business YEARS ago.......
    That 2/3 is money we're already spending. It's just going to be moved around. The last 1/3 is not a whole lot in the long run. The US can't grind to a halt every time there's a budget problem. If we reduce costs for those people with healthcare, that's more money pumped back into our economy. If we can reduce the obesity rate, that's more money pumped into our economy. This is a bill concerned with the long term stability of the country. We can't be afraid of it because we'll have to pay a little extra for a few years.

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason

What makes you think for a moment that employers abide by that? Medical insurance is, by definition, part of a fringe benefits package and can be altered or withdrawn at any time. It is entirely the purview of private employers what they do and do not offer.

I've worked for companies in the past that, arbitrarily, decided to treat everyone as independent contractors; it was either that sudden option or unemployment. Insurances became too high and it became our responsibility to seek out our own benefits. Suck it up and do it.

The cost? Only what we've been spending in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Oh, is that all?

Crap, I have nothing to worry about . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast