What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just some 'pillar pics

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Found this little Sibine stimulea the other day. Thought he was pretty wicked so took a few shots.

P8310007.jpg

P8310012.jpg

P8310013.jpg

P8310015.jpg

P8310014.jpg

P8310017.jpg

P8310018.jpg

Too bad they turn in to such ugly moths as adults...

Gives me a shiver. it's cool to look at caterpillar photos.. but in person I really hate those. don't even dare to touch them.

If you are careful you can pick them up (obviously) but you just have to be ready for the consequences if you make a mistake. I knew what I was getting into, hurts like Hades if they catch you with one of the spines on the projections but so long as you are not molesting them then they feel no need to inflict the pain on you.

Wow! Wicked looking indeed! There is no way in hell I'd pick that thing up. Nope, not doing it. :nono: Very neat pictures though :) Do they just poke? ...or more than that?

Neat. Looks like he/she is wearing a saddle looking thing.

xvart.

That caterpillar is so cute! Especially the fake eyes and mustached rear end. So Cute, I mean...righteously killer man...whew quick save

Dude, that's friggin' awesome!!

I'd never be able to do something like that. So the adults look (unfortunately) bad?

Wow! I've always wanted to find one of those saddleback caterpillars! I don't think I'd pick one up barehanded though.

huh? they actually sting you? or is it more like turantula hairs

pretty cool though. i'd eat it for 20 bucks!

Do they just poke? ...or more than that?

huh? they actually sting you? or is it more like turantula hairs

They do more than just poke. It is kind of like a tarantula hair in that the hair spike dislodges but, unlike tarantulas, the hair spike is coated with a toxic compound that elicits a vicious pain response. It is not like getting nailed by a cow killer wasp but it ain't no picnic...

i'd eat it for 20 bucks!

Yeah.... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that probably would not be a good idea unless you really like the idea of a hospital visit.

wow! awsome caterpillar! I read about that one in a book, lol. Too me it always looked like it was wearing a coat or something. :p Awsome though, cool pics.

.... but you just have to be ready for the consequences if you make a mistake. I knew what I was getting into, hurts like Hades if they catch you with one of the spines on the projections ...
Last year I was pulling some weeds in one of the perennial beds & felt like I got hit with a strong sting from nettles. I'd planted some nettles in a pot several years ago as a lep foodplant so that wasn't a shock - however, I thought they had all died out. Looking around I couldn't find any nettles so I left to nurse my wounds... :censor: Next day I was back in the same spot & got hit again. This time I knew I wasn't mistaken & something had nailed me. After a search, I finally found one of these guys. Once I knew what I was looking for, I found several more .... Incredible looking but those spikes are definitely more than 'show'!

it looks like it is discuised as a spider

Back