Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My RO/DI unit experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear. Where did you get yours from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered mine off of Amazon.com, they have a system with the DI filter and a system without the DI filter, a $20-$30 difference if I remember correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I would chime in here. I'm just curious why neither of you bought the storage tank for the RO System. Most RO systems have an automatic shutoff when the tank is full so you don't ever have to worry about it. There is a complete set-up for under your kitchen sink for just under $150 (and free shipping). This particular one is a 5 stage 50GPD system that is quite easy to install. Here is the link for the one I purchased which includes a 2.8 gal storage tank and the faucet for the kitchen sink. http://www.affordablewater.us/5-Stag...Yn1S6jmipDalaW

I use 15 to 20 gallons per day for my collection and this system has been working great for me for a year and a half now. I have extremely hard water here in southern California...about 550 to 700ppm and this RO System brings it down to 10ppm.

Below is a typical setup for an under-the-sink system and looks just like mine.

Here are a few pics of my installation in my kitchen. The hardest part of the install was drilling the whole in the stainless steel sink.

The RO faucet is the one on the left and its pressurized just like your other faucets in the house. It comes out very fast until the tank is empty (2.8 gals) and then just stops until it purifies more water.

All nice and neat so there are never any visible filters or hoses (or timers) to worry about. All you have to do is fill jugs and store them.

Good Growing,
    Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow nice setup Fred! How often do you have to replace your filters with such hard water? We use to have this setup for drinking water but when I tested our water it never came out below 80 ppm from the small faucet.

Since I only go through a couple gallons a week I do not yet need to get a huge holding tank. For my Sarrs I will fill up 2 2.5 gallon jugs and for the indoor plants I fill up 6-8 1gallon jugs at a time. This usually lasts me all week indoors. The outdoor bogs do not usually need any extra watering except during the summer.

I did pick up a 55 gallon drum one year when I lived at my parent's house. Though there was A LOT of cleaning up inside the drum since it was a Mike's Car wash soap drum, it held plenty of water once it was cleaned. You can go and pick those up for free if you catch them at the right time. They make great water tanks under downspouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking installation!
    Thanks for the link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Fred, that is pretty much the same system that i have. Lucky for me, my mom was all about "healthier drinking water" when i started into this hobby so she already had a REALLY high quality one professionally installed. I love the thing as i too finally have water that doesn't taste like mud and pipes. Though... I do need to buy a TDS meter just to see how well it is actually doing. I am also using a distiller unit.

When it was said that it wourld be hard to hide i thought about posting a pic of mine but I'm glad you did because i have no idea how to post pics. ;P

-isaac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Wow nice setup Fred! How often do you have to replace your filters with such hard water?
    Once a year on the actual filters and every two to three on the membrane based on its performance (only when the TDS starts to increase toward 50ppm).

Fred

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my Mighty Mite the other day. So far, it's great. Water out of tap is 560 TDS, after the filtering it's 0. Yeah, it is a bit slow, but I just fill a few bottles at a time. Not too shabby for the price.

We don't own this place, so no drilling into pipes or into the sink allowed. Once we buy a home I plan on getting something similar to the top post with the tank and faucet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast