Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My RO/DI unit experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear this post was able to help someone out! Dont forget to check on the bottles every once in a while, I've made the mistake of forgetting the thing and it ran all night XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's been a little over 5 months now and the ppm reading is starting to rise. After 5 months my readings right now are at 2 ppm post DI. I purchased replacement filters for about 30 ish bucks straight from the vendor. Once my readings hit 5 ppm I will be replacing the filters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Well it's been a little over 5 months now and the ppm reading is starting to rise. After 5 months my readings right now are at 2 ppm post DI. I purchased replacement filters for about 30 ish bucks straight from the vendor. Once my readings hit 5 ppm I will be replacing the filters.

One thing you should keep in mind is the TDS of your tap water fluxuates through out the year (typically higher in the winter in my area). Which in turn could possibly change the ppm of the RO water. 5 ppm is a little low to be replacing in my opinion. I would replace at 10-20ppm. For me personally I would change at around 20 ppm.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yann - Below 50ppm is fine for CPs. I change mine when it reaches 35ish. Mv TDS is reading about 9 right now and was about 17 a month ago. Greg is right, it does fluctuate with the seasons especially out here in CA so make sure its not a seasonal fluctuation before you waste money on changing the membrane. 0-25ppm is perfect IMHO. Neps are more forgiving of hard water than Sarrs are and you know how well mine grow. I would certainly wait if I were you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, the reason I settled on 5 ppm is because I use to get my RO water from Wally world from one of those machines. The water tested at 30 ppm and after a few weeks ended up burning most of my Neps. When I flushed the pots the water flushing out from the bottom of the pots was reading 200+ ppm. I'd rather spend the 30 bucks every 5-6 months than do a periodic flush and watch each and every pot.
    The RO water pre-bottled from wally world was reading 7-8 ppm back from I purchased it so I figure going with 5, maybe even 10 ppm is a safe bet.

The only other option I can think is that the machine wasnt filtering out something that caused the plants to decline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Yann, there must have been something else in that water because 30ppm wouldn't burn your Neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting thread! Especially since I'm finally going to get an R/O Filter after all these years...
    I live in an apt and might move again in a year so it's the easy install, portable, counter-top units I'm interested in.
    This one in particular looks interesting because it's not as "ugly" as the other ones:
    R/O Filter1

These are interesting too, especially Style A:
    R/O Filter2

And this guy seems kinda standard:
    R/O Filter3

Any advice or thoughts from those who have experience with R/O Filters would be greatly appreciated.
    It's really about time I get one of these... I go through probably 14 Gallons every 8 days. The Neps being the thirsty-ist, with the 5 gal tank w/ heater for the Lowland chamber taking up almost 2 gals a week and the misting another gal a week... The other CP's barely take up any!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best place to but a R/O unit is ebay. $100 fr a 100gpd with tank and faucet.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast