Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Archer's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far as i know they need warm moving water to spawn....they spawn on gravel beds.....they arent going to spawn in a pond.......if they did they wouldnt be having the issues with the dams......where they are doing the best is in the Yellowstone, which i do believe is the longest undammed river in the US......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know from wiki entry that they do move up and down rivers to spawn but I hadn't read anything on them before seeing them at the shop but I imagined it was BS cos I had seen pics of them and they can be huge, even for a pool. Aside from aquarium size I still wanna know what the shop imagines you'd feed the adults. You'd have to have at least an acre of BS ponds!

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i will keep the pic's off this post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad idea to keep the photos to yourself. Have you made many bows and do you rough out the wood and then shorten/shave it to get the draw length and weight you're looking for? I've seen home-made bows and have wondered if people follow a recipe or if it's more of an art. I like to think it's the latter. My best friend and I bought a bow when I was in high school and he was a decent archer and I was the world's worst.

To follow the fish tangent, the only paddlefish I ever saw was dead on the ground at a fishing area below a big dam on the Pearl River in MS. It was the biggest fish I had ever seen by a wide margin and it pissed me off that someone had left such an impressive fish to die. As for shooting fish, I remember old kids with a bow shooting trout in a stream near where I lived in Michigan during early elementary school. They actually got a couple and us little ones were worried the older ones were going to catch hepatitis from the fish and wet arrows because there was a scare at the time and our moms told us to not touch the water. We had no idea what hepatitis even was and I have no idea why I still remember this ~40 years later.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce....as far as someone leaving a paddlefish on the bank and wasting it.....its a very sad thing......most around here rank the white meat(there is an oily dark meat around the spinal cord that isnt to edible) as some of the best fish meat there is.....most around here will take a paddlefish steak on the grill over halibut or swordfish or any of that....it really is superb eating.......though if yah grilled up some of the darker meat around the cord you prolly would think i was full of it.....around here they are very much a prized catch for their size, some of them being bigger than pronghorn around here, but the majority of the meat is also top notch table fair.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW ANY ARCHER's has turned in o a spoon bill fishing thread i will make you a paddle fish thread so you can continue..

Bruce as for your question
    Have you made many bows and do you rough out the wood and then shorten/shave it to get the draw length and weight you're looking for? I've seen home-made bows and have wondered if people follow a recipe or if it's more of an art
    I use a hatchet to fell the tree .i use the hatchet to rough the bow out .i Try to rough it out to within " of where i want it . i let the Stave (the roughed out bow) it cure (dry out ) for a few months , then i draw out what i want the bow to look like an use a Farrier's Rasp to get the bow to the lines i have marked . i then repeat the drying procees for another month..
    During this time i am usally working on one or two more . Iuse white woods because they cure faster an are easier to work with not only that but there are far more variations in the wood color esspecialy with Hackberry.

Here is a link for those of you who would like to giver a shot http://www.stickbow.com/

As for how many bow's i have made. i have made almost 500 since starting in 1998.

Daren Cadue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id pay hundreds 4 that its great craftmenship
    what arrows do you shoot

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have the Pateince to build the arrows so i buy the blank shafts an the fletching an put them all together

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast