Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official "Help Wolfn Pick Out a Car to Buy" thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post

You would have a hard time going wrong with Honda Civic / Toyota Corolla / Hyundai Elantra. I think the Ford Focus got pretty good reviews in consumers.

Stay far away from Chrysler / Dodge products.
    Beware of the 2007 Elantras. Mine has a speedometer and odometer which reads wrong. I go 5mph slower then my true speed and the odometer adds miles too fast. At about 39,000 miles, I have about 5,000 miles that I have never driven. After looking online I'm not the only one to notice this and the dealership says they'd have to diagnose and order parts blah blah. Long story short up to 5% error is acceptable meaning they wont do anything about it.

You cant go wrong with Carmax either, we just bought a Honda Civic 2005 this weekend and the quality of service has blown me away. I will never buy from a dealership again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One reason why I am leaning towards the Suzuki and Focus is that they have MP3 connectivity. I can plug my iPod into the car and listen to my favorite jams through the car stereos. That's pretty cool.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude, you can put in a new stereo that can do that for a couple hundred easy......if thats the major selling point for you prepare to bend over and get screwed on a deal......your laying out serious cash, worry bout how the engine is going to run without dumping $$ into it and that the body and interior will hold up....the stereo shouldnt even enter the equation, thats simple and cheap to switch out.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As opposed to all the "unofficial help Wolfn pick a car" threads? lol.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even I have swapped out a car stereo and I'm the most car-illiterate person out there! You can get a way better stereo by buying it and putting it in yourself. It was pretty easy.

Hopefully the new Focus are better than mine. Mine is a 2000 ZX3 (2 door + hatch) gets pretty nice mileage but it's had a lotta recalls. I think there have been a dozen! None for quite some years now but here's what I can remember has gone wrong over the years with my Focus:

Battery Cable (recall)

Brakes (recall)

Shutting off at stoplights (recall)

(I can't recall all the recalls)

I stopped to get gas on the way to work and the key no longer fit in the ignition. It had to be forcibly towed onto a flatbed (it won't shift to Neutral with no key inserted) and have a new ignition put in.

There is some sort of spring near the tire which snapped and nearly blew my tire. I paid to have it fixed at the shop by my house but a guy I work with who has a focus said later it happened to him too and was a recall fix ford would have paid for.

A month or two ago I was coming home and the coolant line "popped off" (according to the shop) while I was driving down the freeway and sprayed antifreeze all over my engine, setting it on fire and causing almost $3000 in repairs.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sadly, case in point, 2000 was the first model year for the focus....

typically bad mojo regardless of mfg.... there is usually a murphy's learning curve with any new design.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn View Post
    One reason why I am leaning towards the Suzuki and Focus is that they have MP3 connectivity. I can plug my iPod into the car and listen to my favorite jams through the car stereos. That's pretty cool.
    I'm sorry - I don't mean to sound inflammatory - but that's one of the worst reasons to buy a car ever, right up there with, "But that's my favorite color!" Actually, it's even worse than picking based on color; you can install an aux jack for under a hundred dollars on most stereos, where a paint job is going to cost three hundred or more.
    Also, stay away from Kia. They've got a tempting price, nice features, and decent mechanical quality, but the bottom line is that the value of the deal rests on their so-called 10-year warrantee. I looked at Kias when I was shopping around, and the most common complaint I heard is that dealerships don't honor the factory warrantee; apparently Kia is pretty bad about reimbursing their independent dealers for service costs, so many dealerships do whatever they can to not accept their customers' claims.
    You should buy a Subaru.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I utilized Consumer Reports to help my mom pick out a used sedan last year. I wanted her to get a Toyota Prius, to save the most on gasoline. She went with the Toyota Corolla because it was a lot cheaper, and it has turned out to be a reliable car that gets excellent gas mileage. Toyotas and Hondas usually get the best reviews in Consumer Reports, so a Honda Civic would also get the job done... But don't take my word for it! Look for a copy of "Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide" at your local library, bookstore, or even online! And before you buy your used car, no matter what make or model, have a mechanic thoroughly test the car so that you don't get stuck with a lemon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast