Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official "Help Wolfn Pick Out a Car to Buy" thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Aviator, when I was baby my folks had a VW 250 (or something like that) it was the first & only year they made that model cos it was so foul.

I didn't have a choice, needed a car by Monday, nobody but Ford would give me a loan and not for much. All in all it's been pretty good though with way less hassles/worries than my 85 Buick Skylark which was one of those every few weeks a new fix-it thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, from 25 years of being a "car guy".. looking at, buying and driving used cars, and family and friend history with many different cars:

Kia = junk
    Hyundai = junk
    Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth= junk

GM (Chevy, Buick, Olds etc) = ok, but you can do better.

(I would never buy anything above this line)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (I would consider anything below this line)

Ford = best of the USA. I used to place Ford below Nissan and VW, but now I place them above.
    Nissan, VW = middle of the road, generally good.

Toyota and Honda, tired for 1st place, best reliability and quality of any make..

I have no experience with Mazda, Subaru or any luxury brand..
    but any of the japanese luxury brands (Acura, Infinity and Lexus) are basically Honda, Nissan and Toyota's..
    so they should be good..

I also highly recommend getting the Consumer Reports guide, study it carefully, and heed well its advice.

My wife and I just bought a 2009 Ford Focus..we really like it so far..
    before that I drove a 1997 Honda Civic for 10 years..by far the best car I have ever owned..
    (and it was built in Ohio!)

Even though I like the new Ford Focus..I just discovered the tires on it were MADE IN CHINA!!
    very disappointing..
    I dont think its possible to buy a 100% "Made in the USA" car anymore..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    depends on what your buying.....for trucks ill take a half ton Chevy over a half ton Ford...killed 2 shifting forks for the 4 wheel drive in the front end on a Ford....there was more metal on the same part of my Jeep Cherokee's and it weights half as much.....im told the part in the 3/4 and 1 tons is beefier.....but given i wasnt doing serious off-roading i shouldnt have busted 2 of them in the Ford....

if i have to buy a new car i woudnt by either......but other than for a fun vehicle i dont have much use for a car....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    but any of the japanese luxury brands (Acura, Infinity and Lexus) are basically Honda, Nissan and Toyota's..
    so they should be good..
    Not sure about Infinity, but Acura and Lexus are both great brands from the experience of my friends and family. You end up paying luxury car prices for parts and service, though, so they probably aren't as appropriate to Wolfn's budget.
    I hear you on the American cars, Scotty - I was really shocked to find out how much "domestic" production is outsourced to Australia, China and the rest of the Pacific rim. It almost seems like the Japanese do more manufacturing here in the States than our own brands.
    Scotty's definitely right about checking Consumer Reports, Wolfn. I believe that Kelly Blue Book and some of the other auto-specific services have discussions and customer reviews on their websites as well. You might also look around for some automotive forums, but try to avoid the ones that are brand-specific, as you'll find a lot of bias there (big surprise.) Recreation-focused groups (racing, rallying, etc.) might have a little better insight, if you can find a community that focuses on the kinds of features and applications you want.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as others have said, in my experiences, you can't go wrong with toyota and honda. if you get a ford, gm or dodge, you better cross your fingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. The GM vehicles I've owned literally came apart at the seams.

Quote Originally Posted by sarracenia View Post
    as others have said, in my experiences, you can't go wrong with toyota and honda. if you get a ford, gm or dodge, you better cross your fingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I am going to go off the list here, and say you should get a Yugo. Now you are going to have to go to y Kragujevac, Serbia to pick them up so bring plenty of bribe money, a flak jacket and a passport. Now there are several benefits to this car. First you should be able to afford 3-12 with your price range so you can get a few spares or lots of parts cars depending on your outlook. Second, all the mechinically repairs you will have to do will make you a "car guy" heck you will probably be able to build one of these blindfolded in the dark from nothing but a scrap of raw steel. Third you will be getting a lot of exercise with all the walking/pushing you are going to have to do owning one of these high quality machines. and last but not least if you ever need to haul a load of goats you dont have to worry about your interior, its a yugo, it will be ok, plus you have about 6 more spare sets of seats. Other cars you should consider, the AMC gremlin, the Le car, or possible a donkey.

Seriously though, the most important thing is that you like the car. I have known people who had extremely reliable cars they didn't like and they made minor problems seem like major ordeals and I have known people who have had crappy cars (a chevet in one case) and they made major repairs seem like minor inconveniences. If low to no repairs is a major selling point to you consider the Japanese car companies first, with toyota and honda topping that list though I have heard suburus are good as well. American cars I would stay away from for the most part, GM and Ford are about equal, though you can find good and bad cars made by both. Which is better in this case usually depends on who is talking and which they like better in my opinion. Korean made cars, well, these are worse than American made cars and thats saying something. Of the cars on your original list I would go with the Focus as it is one of the better cars made by Ford and I believe they have worked out most of the issues in the later models. Again though I will agree with others who have said do your research and make sure you like the car before you buy it.

MP3 conectivity can be installed for cheap, dont consider that, heck you can buy the car kits for ipods etc. pretty cheap that play through the existing stereo even if you dont want to replace it.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend the Focus too.

I have a 2005 Ford Focus wagon, which we bought used in 2006 or 2007 after I researched a few cars we were considering. It didn't take long to discover that Ford's bean counters had done everything they could to destroy the Focus name when they first brought the model into the US. They went with cheap at every opportunity and the cars had a number of problems through the 2003 model year. Things improved in 2004 and became pretty darned good beginning with the 2005 models. I just checked Consumers' Report ratings and those dates still stand - 2003 and earlier Focuses (Foci?) suck and 2005 and later ones remain very good.

A Focus isn't as refined as some other makes, but I'm not as refined as the owners of those cars. We're made for each other. Plus I grew up in a Ford family. The car pisses me off now and then, but so does every car made since, say, 1971. We wanted a 5-speed, but very few wagons were delivered with them and we settled for an automatic. The ZX-5 is a very attractive car and, if my wife didn't cart dog crates, etc. to field trials, I'd prefer having a ZX-5. Actually, what I'd really prefer is an old English Ford Anglia, such as this:

A guy less than a mile from here had an unrestored one for sale for $2,500 a couple years ago and I used to walk by to look at it all the time. I didn't dare test drive it because the last thing I really need is an old car to work on and I knew I'd be hooked if I ever drove it. I was both disappointed and relieved when it sold. I think it would fit some of your criteria, especially if you look past the fact that it's >50 yrs old and has only 10 hp.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast