User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer people: Will this work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer people: Will this work?

I want to get Vista 32 bit onto my desktop so I can setup my midi synth and digital studio stuff on this machine (which is XP 64 and the stuff won't install). So I was thinking, instead of spending $250 on Vista, couldn't I just install the software package (reboot disk) from my Toshiba Laptop (Vista OS)?

Will this work or just make a horrible mess of everything?

I can always clean re-install XP64 if it doesn't work and doesn't cause the computer to catch fire or something!

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a lot of doubts about that. But... I don't think it would break your machine if you tried. It just might be a real pain to get it back to normal.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I foresee one or more of the following problems

1) Laptops often have custom devices and the system disks are customized to only install drivers etc for those devices.
    2) Some system disks look for specific computer models and won't install on anything else.
    3) You won't be able to activate the second copy of Vista without a valid key that hasn't been used before.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you want to install a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system? I share seedjar's reservations, I don't think this will work. I would imagine the installation program will probably stop you very soon into the process when it checks hardware configuration. But hey, never say never. It's worth a shot if you are confident you can reinstall the original OS. Plus, it is a good learning experience.

It may be easier to try to find a way to run your 32bit app on a 64bit system. Either through the OS or by upgrading your software. 64bit systems are capable of running most 32bit applications. The same was true when Windows was upgraded from 16 to 32bit.

However, I am not too knowledgable about the finer things of Windows. I know enough to troubleshoot server problems when my databases or applications are having problems which are typically network, Active Directory, or user inflicted.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Not a Number does raise a good point. You technically only have one license for Vista 32bit and one Vista 64bit. I don't think the installation program will disallow you from installing 32bit on two machines, but it is technically not Kosher.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NaN and dashman explained it better than I could, but that's basically what I expect to happen, as well. Your restore disk probably has all sorts of laptop-specific features on it that, at best, will cause your system to behave very strangely. As someone who installs Windows onto broken-down computers as many as 20 times in a work day, I can say that, even between minor model revisions of the same brand, drivers and other support software can be highly specific and totally non-interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    Plus, it is a good learning experience.
    This part I'm not as sure about. Jury-rigging an OS from a custom install for a completely different set of hardware is an incredibly fiddly process. If swords were the type of person that excels at learning from those types of tasks, he'd probably already have done it and determined whether or not it worked, or at the very least gone to a better resource than a plant forum. No offense, Josh - this is just one of those things that makes Rubik's cubes look simple and removing splinters fun.
    ~Joe

PS - One thing I wonder is what you need to run that absolutely has to have Windows. Your MIDI devices should work with any old MIDI software, of which there are an abundance of options for XP. Or is it your hardware controller that you're trying to get working?
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point, but I would never delibrately stiffle someones willingness to learn. Even it if means they have learned how to corrupt thier system and start anew.

Backup early, backup often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you install VMWare ACE or Workstation? This way you can create a 32-bit environment that runs alongside your other 64-bit apps - since both ACE and Workstation are hosted solutions?
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M-Audio Axiom keyboard hardware and my Native Instruments software will not install on the 64 bit. It won't even recognize that there's a disk in the drive when I put these companies disks in (their website FAQs still say not 64 compatible). I can install the stuff on the Vista laptop but it's hard drive is not fast enough to process complex audio without clipping. My desktop is a custom build and should have no problem handling this stuff.

So if I buy the Vista 32 home edition OS you think it still will not work cos there hardware itself is 64 bit? The only thing my custom desktop came with is a driver disk for the motherboard, a recording driver disk for the DVD-Rom and the XP64 OS disk. It wasn't a bundled system like the laptop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast