What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fined / Jailed for not having insurance: are they insane?

You know I keep waiting for Obama to yank off his rubber mask and here it was little Georgie Bush under there all along. I'm seeing less and less differences between them all the time, only the rhetoric is different. The pogroms against the poor still stand, only better concealed under Obama. If Obama was actually announcing what he was allowing or having his congress do there ought to be riots - I'm always ready to riot - I was even arrested for "inciting a riot" once!

Left wing/Right wing under the rhetoric it's all the same. I had HOPE that this time it would be different since I had never before believed in the possibility of America CHANGEing into a decent government when I voted for Obama. I've been trying to wash the guilt of taking part in this democracy charade ever since as the reality of it all surfaces under the rhetoric.

As far as the bowing to the saudi prince that's a custom as is handshaking here I think it's silly to even mention such a thing. But they do have 24 hours of news time to fill... As a politician/diplomat you have to do all that stuff to avoid making too much of an arse out of yourself in the country you're pandering to. Can you imagine if he gave the saudi prince an unwelcome massage like Bush did the German chancellor? Now THAT would be an international incident! :D

Anyway, Obama is not the first US diplomat/pres to be in the middle east. Don't forget all those photos of a slap happy Donald Rumsfeld, Richard Cheney and others hanging out with Saddam Hussein. And they can't seem to keep Jimmy Carter outta the middle east for more than a few months at a time.

The George W. Bush administration was such a disaster that just about anyone would be an improvement. McCain is too impulsive and has terrible judgement (Palin being just one example for each), so I still have no doubt that Obama was the best option available on election day. He doesn't have to be brilliant and impressive to be the best of the options big campaign funders allowed us to choose between.

It's a shame better options don't have a shot at major elective office and, to be honest, Obama might have been a good choice in his own right if he had another decade or more of political battles under his belt before becoming president. Maybe he would have learned how to fight and win a political battle. On the other hand, maybe he just isn't suited for it. Who knows?

It takes experience and willpower to defeat something as cancerous and well-funded as the right-wing fringe of American politics. Obama certainly doesn't have the experience it takes and hasn't shown much will to fight. On the other hand, major Republican and Democratic candidates have to suck up to the same financial powers and maybe that's the problem - he doesn't dare do anything to alienate anyone he and other modern Democrats count on for financial support. That probably means darned little will change regarding our financial and medical systems, our energy consumption, military spending or anything else that needs rethinking.

"Just another cog in the corpse grinder of American government." That would probably make a lousy re-election poster! :D

Where is that "dangerous radical" the right assured us he was? Perhaps he really is a weak willed automaton.

Robert Anton Wilson's book Email to the Universe has a reprinted list from the New York Times of major corporations contributing at least $50,000 to both the RNC and DNC during the Clinton V Bush election and the names are all the same.

I like the Colbert Report's idea of having a candidate running for office in a Nascar jumpsuit with corporate logo patches all over it.

Maybe Baucus could dress like a centurion and carry an actual blue cross and blue shield onto the senate floor and battle for supremacy...

Back