What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of an era

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Hey all,

I have kept this kind of quiet though some of you have heard rumors...

So... A couple months ago my boss informed me he was taking a new position. Because it was not an academic position he was taking he was not able to move the lab with him. Which meant I needed to find a job in the 2 months I had remaining. And I have spent nearly every day since then on the hunt. As of right now I have two good candidate positions; one is in Texas and the other is in Maryland. Which means, either way, I am moving.

Moving means selling the house and likely living in an apartment for a time. And apartments are not the best place to try and grow 500+ plants... Especially considering the special requirements most of those plants required. As such, I have also spent the better part of the last 2 month dissolving my collection. I am down to about a score of plants right now and may winnow that back to a dozen or so when all is said and done. I have placed the important material I had in the hands of very capable growers, so even if I am unable to return to the hobby they will remain available.

I will still hang out here as I can, posting if I see anything I can contribute to. But I will likely become even more of a shadow than I already am.

I hope the best for you pyro, you've been great to have around here and you've contributed so much, gone out of your way to help someone obtain that plant they have wanted, and above and beyond with give aways as well...I hope all goes well for you with your work, family, and new home...take care man, hope to see you back into the hobby once your settled in, if you do come back.

Best of luck in your search my friend. When things settle down for you please feel free to get in touch and I'm sure I will have some divisions to go your way. Your a real asset to this forum Pyro, any time you're able to chime in will be a benefit for all of us.

Good Luck. :)

I'm sure, in time, you'll be able to find your way back to growing jungles.

Godspeed and good luck mate, I have a feeling we'll be in contact off an on ;)
Its time to get a teaching position ya know... the money ikinda sux, but man having the summer off is way cool!

"Everytime I find the meaning of life, they change it"
Av

Okay, that is a bit of a relief- the last message I got from ya was cryptic enough to make me worried- I am comforted to know that it is a classic case of things going squirrely as so often happens in life- I am sure that your collection will thrive and multiply in the hands of others, and that when you find the time and space to return to the hobby "in force" it will be a simple task to get back to wherever you want to be in short order

Keep it metal Bro, and seriously looking forward to Pyro Mk. II- Return of the Epic that Is ;)

\m/

Good luck in all that you do! I never got to know you to well but this comunity is so great I felt I should give kind words. This forum is like having a second family! Know there will always be a place for you here no matter where you are in life!

Sorry to hear about your downsizing. Let me know if you need some dews to temporarily fill a void. I'm sure there are some here with your name on them.

Good luck to you in your upcoming adventure! Apartments aren't actually too bad for having plants, it's all I've known. You've just gotta get setup and then work out what you can do to change the climate in the immediate grow area/grow chamber to eliminate the dreaded "apartment atmosphere" (too warm & too dry).

I hope we'll still be seeing you around regardless!

Good luck Pyro. You are truly one of the people I admire most in this forum.

I have found that sometimes the greatest opportunities can come disguised as what seems to be tragedy.

Some years ago, my father worked at a position for 20 years. The company he worked for went out of business which forced him to find a new job. He would have worked there another 40 if they let him. But being forced into the market for a job was the best thing for him. He discovered he was grossly underpaid and there were companies out there willing to pay more for his skills, alot more. Needless to say, him being forced to seek new employment was the best thing for him.

I hope a similar fate finds you and that you will see this as a blessing upon reflection.

Aw, man, that's unfortunate. :/ Best of luck to you. :)

Good luck in your future endeavors, Pyro. And although you are not disappearing from terraforums completely, your presence will be missed.

seeyouspacesamurai.jpg

Sorry to hear about that Pyro - sounds like an ordeal. But hopefully some good stuff will come out of it. Taking a break from your collection is probably kind of hard but I'm sure it's for the better. (I certainly wouldn't envy you to make an interstate move with it in tow.)
Keep us updated, and best luck on your search.
~Joe

Aw, Pyro, I hope all goes well and that you can keep some of your very favorite plants. :/

You'll do fine - a lot of us have survived that kind of disruption and without all the education and experience you have to offer. I turned 31 working in a fotomat while trying to get back into the environmental field after moving here. It was a tough year+, but it eventually led to an even better prospect than I had expected.

I am so sorry to hear this Travis. :( Please don't be too much of a ghost. This place would just not be the same without you. You've given so much to the forums for all these years.

I've been through the job loss thing before and its hard. Even now I'm on the edge in my job. I've survived one layoff but if there is another...it could be me.

But you will get through it. I know it was terribly hard to dissolve your collection but it can come back to you when you are ready again.

Please don't leave here! Your expertise would be missed!

Good luck!

Sir,
I havent got to know you ..... but know what it is to loose these plants .... an i hope the best for you Sir

Daren

It's a disruption in your life, but you've got a healthy attitude toward it. It's great that you have a couple of leads. All the best to you, and keep us updated. End of an era. Beginning of a new era.

Back